Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing a Salt Water Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing a Salt Water Pool

I have bee told for Salt Water Pools to add a Scale Free Product over the winter to prevent scale. Does that even work? I had a scale problem last year so would like to avoid it if I can but I will be monitoring the pool's ph level throughout the winter....my calcium level is over 400 so concerned...did some draining this summer to lower it but still at about 450.....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing a Salt Water Pool

Actually, all other levels being equal, the higher level of salt in a SWG pool actually REDUCES the likelihood of calcium scaling. If you are going to be monitoring the pH, then there should be no need for a scale free product.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Interesting....I noticed that in the pool calculator but what I am talking about is not the salt level of my pool but the calcium hardness level...isn't there a difference?

4. Back To Top    #4

It is not only the CH that leads to calcium scaling ... the other parameters play into it as you see in the calculator via the CSI.

You CH is really not that high we have members with quadruple digits.

I was simply saying that having the extra salt actually lower the CSI and thus the liklihood of scaling ... which seems to be opposite what "you have been told"
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!