Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swimmer's ear

1. Back To Top    #1

St. Croix, USVI

Swimmer's ear

Any thoughts or suggestions about Swimmer's ear and sanitation other than what is commonly discussed?
    Any thoughts or comments about ear drops after swimming?
    Marbelite 13K gal pool in Rain Forest St. Croix USVI (opened 08/04/13)
    Hayward 2030 cartr filter (225sqft) Hayward skimmers
    Lorenz Solar powered pump 4 Ecogreen PV panels 245W ea w A/C back up Polaris 360 cleaner w separate filter
    Location is 17deg 47' N Water Temp 82-86deg Ambient temp 75-90deg Rain Fall 60-90"/yr Altitude 615Ft ASL Sun Solar Exposure 11:34 to 12:25hrs/day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swimmer's ear

All three of my kids (many years ago) had ear issues after any type of swimming - ocean, lake, pond, pool, etc.

Ended up many times with antibiotics, although no one ever got "tubed".

Our old family practicioner MD (now deceased) advised ear drops consisting of 50% white vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol. To adjust the PH and encourage drying. Hardest part was finding a dropper bottle.......

Worked like a charm - never had a swimming related ear issue with any of the kids after that.

YMMV, just my two cents.......................
    24 foot AG Vinyl, 10 year old wall, 1 year old liner
    Hayward 240T Sand (free!)
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump (free)
    BBB just ROCKS!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Labelle, TX

Re: Swimmer's ear

It really is not what's in the water but getting the ears dry after swimming. The over the counter stuff works good. I use swim ear. The main two things it has in it is alcohol and vinegar. You can mix your own 50/50 and get a dropper bottle from the drug store. The vinegar changes the pH in the ear and the alcohol dries it.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"