Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Greetings from Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex

1. Back To Top    #1

Greetings from Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex

Hey all,

From the Dallas-Ft. Worth area here, and I am considering having an IGP installed in my yard, despite having a neighborhood pool. Our HOA pool is only open for roughly 3 months of the year. During that time the pool is pretty busy, and it's also usually over chlorinated and doesn't have much shade. My yard already has a large covered patio with flagstone and a decent amount of landscaping with trees and flowers so I wouldn't need much decking around the pool, but I am on the fence about whether to do salt water because of this. Aside from not being so sure I want to deal with having to seal everything yearly, I am worried about how the salt will affect other aspects of my yard as well. Patio furniture, grass, flowers, etc.

My vision is to just have a pool my immediate family will use mostly, which consists of myself, my wife and two young children. If you look at the video, I was thinking of putting a basic 14x30 rectangular pool with an average depth of 4.5' without anything fancy other than a heater just off the patio where that poor little tree is, so I will only need the minimal amount of decking. If you look at the drawing, the drawing shows a walkway to the pool from the patio and then decking around most of the pool. There is an easement on the north side, but I plan on putting some decking over it anyway. I just can't envision the pool without at least the minimum amount of decking all around.

My budget is pretty tight.. I can't see myself spending more than 40K on this from start to finish and that's on the high end for me. I'd feel more comfortable financially with less.

What do you all think?
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Greetings from Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex

Do you need a heater? I don't have one.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd like to swim in the evenings as late as November and as early as late March or early April. Will I be able to do that comfortably without a heater?
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Zethacat, I am new to the site and like you doing research. Your design looks good, what I have been told is the rectangle shaped pools are more expensive. My neighbor behind me has one. If you go with a freeform pool you can hopefully reduce your cost. I would also ask in the forum about heater and how expensive it can be to heat a pool. I look forward to following your post and seeing what you find out. I agree with your price point that would be my max. I don't want a spa, because I would not use it. But I do like the look of them. So much to learn...

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

A heating cost spreadsheet for heating a pool/spa with a natural gas heater is available here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/natur...et-t60600.html.

The short answer on heating a pool is it can take a little while. Your planned pool is about 14,200 gallons. To raise the water temperature 5F (assuming a 400K BTU heater with an efficiency rating of 80%) will take between two and three hours depending on ambient air temperature, sun hitting the pool, whether the pool is covered, ground temperature, length of plumbing run, and wind. With my pool, the heater is more valuable for heating the spa since it will do that in short order. Since I do not see a spa in your plans, I would take the time to do an analysis on whether a heater makes sense for you.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, that will probably be useful at some point in the future. But right now I'm more interested in knowing whether or not I should go with salt water system.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would never give up my salt system. Never. No effect on my grass or plants at all. I hear if you have a soft stone coping or deck it can cause erosion to the stone, but since I don't have stone, I don't know.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Well that's the thing. My whole patio is flagstone.. and I may decide to go with flagstone coping, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the headache of having to seal everything every year. I've heard that salt kills plants and grass.. this true or not?

9. Back To Top    #9

Salt will kill plants. But the concentration in the pool will not, at least not in my experience. I've backflushed several times onto my St. Augustine grass and have no issues at all.

Kind of like water will kill people. Depends.
    http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

10. Back To Top    #10

If you are concerned, ask an experienced gardner about salt sensitive plants. I was worried about this too, but have come to find out that Robbie is right. I have St. Augustine and was worried about it and my trees. No worries with that it seems, just ask about delicate flowers or salt sensitive types.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi neighbor! We have a salt water system - LOVE IT.. so far. Many of the pool builders we talked to didn't care for the salt... but I wouldn't be without it! I backwash on my new (last year) sod and 3 crepe myrtles and they suffer no side effects.

We added a spa that we can heat up for the colder seasons - but... like today, you COULD get in the pool if you wanted to. Water is in the low 80's. Next week it could be cold.. but the spa is a great backup for year round fun.

Your yard is beautiful.. it will be even prettier with a pool!

Good luck! I'll be watching..
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html