new pool owner going crazy over choosing robotic cleaner

echo

Jul 30, 2013
western new york
Let me start with a little info:

Pool: Fiberglass (Viking Gulf Shore model)http://www.vikingpools.net/free-form.php
Capacity: 15,00 gal

Been reading a lot of info on this forum about various cleaners and the more I read the more confused I get. Basically what I'm looking for is:

-Dependable cleaner
- Fairly low cost $600-850 range
- Will do a good job on the type of pool above (steps,walls,bottom)
- something thats easy to clea/remove the debris it picks up

Its seems as if the Maytronics/Dolphin models are liked by many here; but, they seem to have too many models and wont honor warranty if purchased via internet.
As of now I seem to be leaning toward an aquabot breeze 4wd for ~$629 but before I go ahead I would like to hear from others about this or any other cleaner you could recommend

Ok..well you've narrowed the field a bit, in that you want a cleaner that climbs..so eliminate and that do not. Next, do you want one that scrubs, or just suction? Again, I personally think that the Maytronics lines of cleaners are probably the best (cleaning wise) on the market today.

flyweed said:
Ok..well you've narrowed the field a bit, in that you want a cleaner that climbs..so eliminate and that do not. Next, do you want one that scrubs, or just suction? Again, I personally think that the Maytronics lines of cleaners are probably the best (cleaning wise) on the market today.

I think I would want one that scrubs (only because I think it may do a better job) How good are the cleaners that dont scrub? Being that the pool is fiberglass, would suction only be good enough?

What ever robotic cleaner you purchase check your credit cards to see if any offer an extended warrantee at no cost. My Visa offers to double the manufactures warrantee and I've used it with my pool cleaner. It went dead about 6 months after the manufactures warrantee expired. They refunded the original purchase price.
I've got a smartkleen nitro ($299), they also make a wall climber version. Overall pretty happy with it.
Here's my review of the Nitro:
smart-pool-nitro-smartkleen-universal-review-t35445.html

I have a FG pool as well, and I am looking for a similar cleaner. In My Opinion...we don't need a TON of scrubbing...the surface is smooth, and even on low speed I pick up everything. So I was thinking a good suction cleaning might be the ticket...but struggling with too many choices.

In my opinion the extra money for for the Dolphin is well worth it. This cleaner (M4) really works with no screwing around with patterning and hangups on the main drain. The scrubbing makes a big difference; my pool is squeaky clean right to the waterline like never before. I've had 2 suction side cleaners and neither ever worked properly, circling in the deep end and requiring endless adjustments. Also had a JandyVac pressure side cleaner that worked well but I had to run my pump twice as long as I do now and it didn't scrub, just swept. Avoid the warranty issues with the Dolphin by purchasing at a dealer. If the thing breaks return to the dealer for repair or replacement. No fussing with the manufacturer and it's a 3 year warranty. Can't go wrong with this cleaner.
JMO.

Auto-vacs of all three types are certainly hard for the newbie to pick. Never underestimate the relationship between cost of the cleaner and it's cleaning power.

In my large pool (43k), I started with a suction side cleaner that was inexpensive but simply didn't have the "oomph" to clean my pool. It was a bit like driving to California on a moped.

I have owned or trialed 4 robots since, some doing a bit better than others but I have found that I have to pay $1000+ to get the cleaning power that makes sense for my pool.

Ideally, somewhere in the $2k range would give me a great cleaner but I can't bring myself to cough up the money. I currently have to run this cleaner 2-4 hours daily for it to keep up. If I had a 12k pool, I could easily be satisfied with a $600 cleaner.

My personal experience on the "bells and whistles" (climbing steps, scrubbing walls, calculating your pool size for max efficiency) is that they are mostly non-important. None of the cleaners I have used will manage my steps efficiently nor were any of them capable of cleaning my steps. All of them wandered around my pool like they were on drugs.....I could detect no "smart" feature at all.

My current Dolphin Premier does a fairly good job of randomly climbing the walls but, in reality, I get little debris on my walls.....it all settles to the floor.

All in all, I believe autovacs will all suck up debris.......the more debris you have (bigger pool) the more you must pay to get the effectiveness you need.

I know this is out there in Left field but you may want to check out the Solar Breeze Robotic surface cleaner. It is a robot surface cleaner that is solar powered. It has no cords or hoses. I have been Demoing a unit on my route and I love the cleaner. I have sold 4 units since I started Demoing it. It cost $498.00. I have a discount code from Solar-Breeze that will save you $50.00 & give you free shipping that I give to my customers who purchase the unit. Not sure if I can post it here so I won't :roll:

It is light weight and easy to remove. It leaves the surface of the pool Ungodly clean and sparkling. I just dropped one in on Weds this week and the customer purchased one on Friday. It comes with a 1 year warranty. The battery is rated for 1,000 charges and looks like a remote control car type - easy to change. It runs all day and into the night cleaning the surface. It is amazing. They offer a 30 day money back guarantee so it is a no risk deal.

Up until 3 months ago I never heard of the thing. But the company has been around for a few years and is growing. I like the cleaner and this is from a pool guy who installs nothing but suction side cleaners. I give corded robot cleaners the Thumbs Down. They are expensive, heavy to remove, motor can burn out after two years and the cleaning area is random and "iffy" at best.

If you live in a Sunny climate and have lots of surface debris then you may want to research the Solar Breeze.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.