Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about CYA and SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about CYA and SLAM

I bought a home with pool. Pool is about 12000 gal + attached SPA
    Water seemed clear and there was a maintenance person. I decided to do it myself.

There were more twists than in anticipated. The filter cracked, the pool vacuum base cracked, replaced both then water started turning green.

The pool store tested water:
    FC : 2
    TAC: 2
    Ph 7.5
    CYA: 90
    CH:200
    TDS: 700
    Phosphates: 500

A few days before water started turning green.

I bought HD test kit and that showed PH > 8. so added acid. And started slam and ordered K-2006 at same time. I started adding bleach blind, one gallon at a time, 2 times a day, water looks cloudy now.

Tested with K-2006 today,

FC : 20
    PH: 8+ with acid demand 20 drops
    CYA: 100+ (test stops at 100)

My questions.
    1. During SLAM is CYA test reliable? Should i forget the procedure and drain refill?
    2. Should i correct PH now or during SLAM I should not worry about it?
    Should i worry about phosphates, i know generally opinion here is not to, i have trees in backyard so leafs regularly fall into the pool.
    Anything else i should do now?

Thank you for help
    Go Spa 742 | 310 Gal | Ozone | Lucite Cast Acryllic | 220v | Installed Aug 2013
    Grilling | Cooking | Wine | Coffee Home Roaster | Frozen Concoctions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about CYA and SLAM

Best thing you can do is drain and replace 50% of water. Get water to CYA level of 50 max. THEN SLAM your pool! No need to even test cya during SLAM. It ain't gonna change! No need to check PH with FC over 10 either----will check abnormally high. Forget phosphates.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you.

The only reason I did CYA again was I read here that people got 90+ at pool store but lower reading when they tested with Taylor kit. I got higher. Significantly higher I believe. Wanted yo make sure maybe I am not supposes to test during slam.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The upper limit of the CYA test is 100. Your level may be much higher. Mix pool water 50/50 with tap water, test and double result, to determine how high it really is. Then you will know how much water you need to drain.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I need to figure out an easy way to get water out for replacing. I am not sure if the pumping system has a way to drain. Any ideas on that? A search showed i can get sump pump rental at Home depot to help, but I am afraid, i do not know where the sump pump has been before..

6. Back To Top    #6

If you can post a pic of the equip, or tell us what equipment you have, we may be able to come up with a way to use the pump you have now to drain the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry it took some time, needed to take picture, did not have it already.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Who cares where the sump pump has been before ... you will be SLAMing anyway. They have all looked pretty clean to me.

It does not look like you have a waste port. Although you could open the hose bib on the left of the picture and drain that way, but it will be slow and only work if you can isolate the floor drain with the valve in front of the pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Will try to do this weekend, the water has started looking normal color so thats good news for me.