TFT-100 Not Correlating With Pool Store for TA and CYA

Surf Hawk

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 13, 2013
Santa Barbara, CA
Hi I have been lurking these forums for a month ever since we moved into our new house with a 28,000 gallon IGP. I became a supporter and bought the TFT-100 to watch my levels before making the switch to BBB. I've tested twice, but can't get the TA or CYA tests to equal the results from my pool store test.

FC: 6
CC: 0
pH: 7.8
T/A: TFT-100: 250 / Pool Store: 120
CYA: TFT-100: 120 / Pool Store: 90
CH > 1,000 (no pool store test to confirm)

I am currently using the former owner's schedule of Chlor Brite granular chlorine (dichlor) every 4-5 days and Phos Free Plus every week. Pump is on 8hrs a day and if my math is correct that turns the pool over 2.5 times. No cover, lots of sun, California 60-70 degrees.

Thanks for any help in learning to use my TFT-100.

We assume you bought the TF-100 BECAUSE the pool store testing is highly inaccurate! We'd be shocked if it DID match. Trust your own testing as you become more familiar with it. Welcome to the forum.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If you have been reading the forum, you know what I am going to say ;)

Ignore the pool store test and trust your own. You CYA is WAY too high because you continue to use the Chlor Brite. You now need to replace at least 50% of your water to get the CYA back in range and then switch to bleach. The water replacement will also help lower the CH is is too high as well.

And PhosFree is completely a waste of money ... get your CYA in range, SLAM, and then maintain adequate FC and you will not need to be buying any potions.

For the TA test you are doing, be sure to wipe the dropper tip as there can be static electricity. The drops should come out well formed and dangling from the tip before dropping. If you are getting drops that are small and squirt out, that's static electricity so wipe the tip with a clean damp cloth or tissue.

chem geek said:
For the TA test you are doing, be sure to wipe the dropper tip as there can be static electricity. The drops should come out well formed and dangling from the tip before dropping. If you are getting drops that are small and squirt out, that's static electricity so wipe the tip with a clean damp cloth or tissue.

Hi, I did see the note in the test kit about wiping the dropper, and I did that after every drop. The drops looked pretty good, but if my numbers change in a few weeks I'll know I was not getting correct drops.

Thanks for the replies. I had not known from my reading that the pool store tests were not to be trusted. I know the Chlor Brite and the PhosFree are not good if I want to go with the BBB method, I had planned to just watch the readings for a few weeks before taking the plunge with BBB. As a new pool owner I wanted to get a grasp of the pump/filter/etc before diving into BBB. Hopefully in a few weeks I will do as you suggest to get the CYA to a reasonable level. Thanks.

Surf Hawk said:
Thanks for the replies. I had not known from my reading that the pool store tests were not to be trusted. I know the Chlor Brite and the PhosFree are not good if I want to go with the BBB method, I had planned to just watch the readings for a few weeks before taking the plunge with BBB. As a new pool owner I wanted to get a grasp of the pump/filter/etc before diving into BBB. Hopefully in a few weeks I will do as you suggest to get the CYA to a reasonable level. Thanks.
Trust yourself.

Since you haven't had long here, I'll give you a shortcut to a post that exemplifies the problem with pool store testing. inconsistency-in-readings-t61728.html Study the historical readings and ask yourself how that guy's CYA fluctuates so wildly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.