Cloudy Water

Rwagen

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2013
Rockford, MI
Is there something other than algae that can turn your water cloudy? Pool was clear last night but is getting cloudy today. Not green, just not clear. Can still see the bottom.

PH 7.8
FC 3.5
CC 0
Overnight Loss 1
TA 100
CH 290
CYA 80
Temp 80

I was planning on slamming but when I saw there was FC and the CC remained 0, it made me question whether something else could be the cause. Should I slam it anyway?

Rick

Your FC is below the min for your CYA level of 80. You FC levels should be 6-9 ppm and not below 6 ppm.

Low FC will cloud the water. Try raising the FC up and see if that clears it up. If not SLAM it.

The FC level bothered me a little because it normally sits at between 5 and 7. Because I have the liquidator installed I have been running it closer to the SWG levels but the 3.5 is lower than normal. That procedure might be biting me in the butt right now.

I turned up the liquidator so the levels should be coming up now.

Rick

Rwagen said:
The FC level bothered me a little because it normally sits at between 5 and 7. Because I have the liquidator installed I have been running it closer to the SWG levels but the 3.5 is lower than normal. That procedure might be biting me in the butt right now.

I turned up the liquidator so the levels should be coming up now.

Rick
I wouldn't even wait for that. Just dump jugs in manually until you get to 9 FC, or even a few points above that, and see what it looks like tomorrow.

Did not want it to get away from me so I brought the FC up to 26 last night. The pool was clear this morning. Will bring it back up tonight just to be safe.

One thing I learned yesterday. This is a newly purchased house and the previous owners never used the sprinkler system because they did not have anything in the back to water. I turned the main valve on and someplace under the pool deck the sprinkler line is leaking. The deck gets wet and water is coming into the pool in one of the corners. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only way to solve this is to cut a hunk of concrete out, repair the leak, then pour new deck. Could that water entering the pool cause my cloudiness issue? The water level came up about 1 inch in the pool before I figured it out and shut off the sprinkler main.

Rick

Rick make sure you pass these three tests just to make sure your good

1 water is crystal clear
2 CC of 0.5 or less
3 pass the OCLT

I doubt the water coming in the pool caused the cloudiness. The low FC was the suspect.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only way to solve this is to cut a hunk of concrete out, repair the leak, then pour new deck.
Don't do that. Reroute your sprinkler line so that you intercept it before it goes under the deck and then reconnect it so it hooks back up at a point outside of the deck area.

If I wouldn't have moved to El Paso where they believe in pouring concrete everywhere, that would be easier. My pool is connected to the house with concrete and the concrete starts on each side of the house and covers from property line to property line. An option would be to run a new water line around the other side of the house by cutting a trench through the concrete. At least then, none of the sprinkler stuff would be running under or around the pool. That would save me having to try and repair the pool deck and match what is already there.

Would the broken sprinkler line under the pool deck cause any problem if I just ran new and left it in place?

Rick

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.