Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ground leveled and pool back up.. (now with photos!)

1. Back To Top    #1

Ground leveled and pool back up.. (now with photos!)

Ok So I drained the pool and started from scratch after leveling the ground (pictures later today) and we are only 1 inch off (higher) on the side that was so low which I am ok with as I know it will probably shift a bit with a good rain..

I was 2/3 full late last night so we cut off the water and started again this morning. I ran out to grab a sample of water and test it to know where I stand. As of right now, it looks like this;

Chlorine -0
    pH - 7.5
    TA - 140
    Calcium -70
    CYA - I think is 20 or less (I forgot to post this before I am editing- Obviously I need to get a sock of stabilizer in soon as well)

Obviously I am gonna run out and add some chlorine in a minute as we are really close to being able to turn on the pump/filter system. Other than that does everything look ok to you folks? I am unsure of the TA level and the calcium as well. Any other levels you would want to know right now?

Thanks! It was SUPER hard work but I enjoyed it and know it is gonna look AMAZING when its all grown in...
    Intex vinyl 18' x 48 " AGP

Learning the ropes so I can grow up and have my very own big kid pool! (IE -SUPER NOOB!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ground leveled and pool back up..

While you're out getting bleach pick up some stabilizer (cyanuric acid [CYA]) as well, then use the pool calc to find out how much you need for your water volume to get between 40 and 50 ppm. Add 1/2 of that amount. You can put the pellets or flakes in an old sock, knot it up and put it inside the skimmer basket. It dissolves slowly - though the flakes dissolve faster than the pellets. Don't backwash. CYA seems to sit in the filter medium for a few days, I don't know why.

Test for CYA in 4 or 5 days. If you don't have a test kit with the reagents, have a pool store do it. Or have two different pool stores do the testing (not with test strips!) and see where you're at.

The TA is high for a vinyl pool. Please look in the Pool School link above (under the pool picture in the logo) for how to reduce TA.

I can just imagine how hard you worked on getting the pool set up more level.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Ground leveled and pool back up.. (now with photos!)

Here are the before.....

And here are the after! YAY!

Lots of hard work and persistence and we have it just about perfect.. Now for the rest of the yard... I still have 2/3 a dump truck load of dirt to figure out where to place and cover what the rains have uncovered! I still need to get the edging put around the mulch and a couple more bags of mulch to finish the job and then water water water that seed!!

Please tell me what you think!

Alli

Learning the ropes so I can grow up and have my very own big kid pool! (IE -SUPER NOOB!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice work!

A suggestion: until you get the grass growing again around the pool you might want to get a $10 baby pool at one of the X-Marts, fill it, and use it as a foot bath before anyone gets in the real pool. It will save you a lot of debris being dragged in. You could set the baby pool right in front of the ladder so anyone climbing it has to go through the foot bath. Add a glug of bleach.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep! I am gonna do it before anyone gets in it! We are also going to make a pathway with those big 16 x 16 path stones (you know what I mean) hopefully help keep some of the debris down until i can build the deck on the back of the pool... I think closet to Oct... we will see. After taking on this project I think I will wait for the next major project til hubby is home and can help! ]

Alli

6. Back To Top    #6

It looks so much better!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

You did a great job, Alli.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice job there. Did you do all that by yourself without your DH?
    8,000 gal IG concrete & tiled lap pool, 1/2 hp pump, 24" sand filter, SWG Auto Clean, whole pool under shed, 3 X 2ft waterfall one end overflow the other end. TF100 Testkit. 80 F Water whole year round.

9. Back To Top    #9

All by myself without DH and just a couple teens helping me. I am so thrilled that even after the last couple rainstorms IT HASNT BUDGED!
    It is so nice to have it sitting there properly. After the grass is all grown in then I will start on the deck on the back half of the pool.
    I am now in love with the new disco ball floaters that the pool store has. Has anyone seen or used them? I am concidering the big one with the fountain. Mostly for the fountain use but I love the idea of the pool lit up at night while sitting on the backporch enjoying a cool mojito!