Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Discovered liner stains while closing pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Discovered liner stains while closing pool

Started draining the water below the skimmer and noticed the liner and stairs all around the pool below the water level all tinted a yellowish-orange color. Crushed up some Vitamin C tablets in a sock and wiped the stains and they came away instantly, revealing a pretty big contrast with the clean areas that I never really noticed too much before.

My question is: Do I need to deal with this NOW? I really wanted to get it closed today for the Winter. I already did my partial drain, my chemicals are already in. I'd rather just deal with this in the Spring. Is there a good chance those stains will become permanent if I just let it alone?
    - Max

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Discovered liner stains while closing pool

Wait for others to chime in, but I'm pretty sure it's fine to wait til spring.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

If it helps any, the small ares I wiped off super easy with the vitamin C solution. So although its been like this for most of the season the stain hasn't "stuck" at all.
    - Max

4. Back To Top    #4

Doesn't sound like you suddenly discovered these stains while starting to close if they've been there "most of the season." If it's that easy to take care of it now, why wouldn't you? Stains have a tendency to "set in" over time, especially if undisturbed over the winter and spring. I'd rather open to a worry free, trouble free pool next year.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, probably the smarter thing to do, deal with it before closing. But I tend to go the "do it the hard way" route . And I wasnt very clear. I knew there was some staining earlier this year, but due to the pattern of the liner i did not realize how extensive the staining was until i lowered the water level. And yes it is easy to wipe off from the surface down a foot or two, but wiping the sides lower and bottom of pool is a much more difficult job. It is also my understanding that the staining will just come back unless the metals are truly removed from the water. Long story short, its an old liner that will probably get replaced next year or year after. Falling leaves are getting worse as Fall arrives. so i put on the cover and hope i can deal with it ok next year. Thanks.
    - Max