Same manufacturer, same model number, difference size...

Your old filter is the TA60 if it is 24" in diameter. Though I see you point on the fact that the old one is marked as a TA40...must have been a mistake.

Even the TA60 ( at 3.1 sq. ft.) is much smaller than our recommendations for your pool. For a 40000 gallon pool, we would recommend a minimum 7.4 sq. ft. sand filter (~36 inch diameter filter).

If you are going to return it, I would step up at least the TA100D which is 4.9 sq. ft. filter area if you want to stay with the Tagelus model. If you will in switch models, then you can get up close to the recommended area.

linen said:
Though I see you point on the fact that the old one is marked as a TA40...must have been a mistake.

Guess I don't see what you folks are seeing. This appears to be a multi-use label that has multiple columns to describe the specifications for multiple models. The same label can be applied to different models. Very standard practice.

There's a column for the TA-35-350, a column for a TA-40-400, a column for a TA-50-?00, a column for a TA-60-?00 and a column for a TA-100-?00. (question marks are for where I can't read it very well). Am I missing something?

I haven't installed it. Going to ship it back and get the 60. My older one appears to be a 60. Do you have any info on the difference between the 60D and the 60 ClearPro (ClearPro has less laterals)? Is less laterals better or worse? Would appreciate any insight before I exchange and order proper filter.

The ClearPro is a new membrane that allows the laterals to filter quite a bit finer debris. Well, what could be wrong with that?

1. The standard laterals will keep your pool crystal clear, anyway.

2. It's a reasonably new product......I hate being the guinea pig.

I have spoken with a filter engineer from pentair about these and he indicates to me they are the real deal.....just not yet gained wide acceptance.

It's your call. Tried and true is a good thing but an innovative product may be a better thing.....I don't think there is consensus yet on their performance

Can you give me a more information on what you stated "the ClearPro is a new membrane..." What do you mean? I am all for filtering out finer debris and that is why I chose Zeobrite as my filter media. The ClearPro is not much more expensive than the 60D model. When you say reasonably a new product...how new?

Ok - I can see that if repairs are more trouble than replacing (I've done that myself). Still when you ship that smaller one back - I'd get the biggest filter you can afford / squeeze into the space you're putting it at (at least the size recomended). More filter is almost always better than a smaller one.

The old filter is marked with the date, year and model with a punch out at the bottom of the column. I have the space to install the T/A100 model. I will check into this. I have definitely come to the conclusion that the "punched out" circle on the old filter label is wrong. I am shipping new T/A40 back and will get a bigger one. I am apprehensive to change manufacturer's because I have had great success with what I have used for years. I will go with recommendation of a unit even bigger than the 60 model.

Thanks everyone soooo much! I thought maybe in today's world maybe the technology made the filter's physically smaller in size since 1996. I now know that the manufacturer made a mistake when they labeled this unit.

I LOVE THIS FORUM BOARD. So many are so helpful and answer so quickly. Thank you again!! I sincerely appreciate your help and ideas!!
Still deciding on the ClearPro unit versus the standard filter.

Tracie

Yeah, I see the mark! They must have marked it wrong.

How often did you typically have to clean your old filter when the pool was clear?

If you want to stay with pentair but go up to a 7 sq. ft. filter, the TR140 is it...but it also requires a side mount valve, so it would require more plumbing work.

If you were willing to go Hayward, then you could go with the S360T2 which is still a top mount valve. Both brands are equal imo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ordered the Tagelus TA60 today. I looked at the TA100 but it required all of the plumbing to be replaced :( I didn't want to go that route. I have had great success with this model and my pool not giving any problems. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Once we get it, install it and make sure everything is good, the winter cover will have to go on. Darn winter weather in Ohio.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.