Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same manufacturer, same model number, difference size...

1. Back To Top    #1

Same manufacturer, same model number, difference size...

I have a 40,000 gallon, 20 x 40 inground pool. I am replacing the 1996 model filter and 6 way valve. I ordered the same filter brand, same model number that is listed on the old filter. Could technology have advanced since 1996 to the point where the filter tank is considerably smaller? I am thinking that the older filter was mismarked by the manufacturer. Can I have anyone's opinion on this? It just doesn't look right.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Same manufacturer, same model number, difference size...

Don't think you're going to get too many responses if you don't include some basic information like the name of the manufacturer and the model number.......

21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, Tigger883

As mentioned please post the type, manufacturer, and model number of the filter. Generally, the bigger the effective filter area, the better.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is a Pentair Tagelus Sand Filter TA/40. I tried to upload the pictures but saying to big. So I will take some again tomorrow in daylight and post it. Thank you for letting me know I needed to post that info. I wasn't thinking.

5. Back To Top    #5

What volume is your pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you. I am finding very good information on this site.

7. Back To Top    #7

The pentair TA-40D is a small filter. I am not aware of any change in the effective filter area of the TA-40. Post your pool volume.

8. Back To Top    #8

The literature says that model is supposed to be approx 19" diameter. Is that the size of your original one or is the new one that size? What is the diameter of the one that is different?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

9. Back To Top    #9

40,000 gallons, 20 x 40...but steps make it 44. I have taken care of this pool since I was a young child. My grandparent's owned it and I bought the homestead 13 years ago. I had the pool renovated and replaced the sand with Zeobrite and the 6 way valve 13 years ago. Pool was covered and unused for 4 years until we bought property. Never had any trouble with this pool or maintenance since using zeobrite. I replaced (or thought I was replacing) the exact filter unit that was put in in 1996. However, the filter that I just received is much smaller in size than the old filter (which has the manufacturer's label attached and that is what I went by when I ordered it). I will post picture tommorrow. Filteration system also have Hayward 1hp "super pump". No trouble with pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

No, the original is actually 24" in diameter. That is why we are believing the label on the old filter is not marked correctly. The new one I just purchased is much smaller.

11. Back To Top    #11

That is why I asked if technology may have advanced in the past 18 years...where Pentair redesigned the tank possibly.

12. Back To Top    #12

No, I don't think sand filter technology has changed so that a new 19" could perform as well as an old 24". The model 60 would have been a 24". Love to see a closeup photo of the 1996's filter label.

13. Back To Top    #13

I will put label on up close tommorrow.

14. Back To Top    #14

I hope I am doing this upload correctly. Here is a picture of the two filters side by side. [attachment=0:1mledk6m]zpfile004.jpg[/attachment:1mledk6m]
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Back To Top    #15

Here is the label from the 1996 black filter...clearly marked T/A40.[attachment=0:15zpazjm]zpfile000.jpg[/attachment:15zpazjm]

16. Back To Top    #16

Picture 2 of 1996 Pentair Tagelus label. I've done my research and I am thinking label was clearly mismarked after I received the new replacement Tagelus and seen the size difference. I do not want to install a new filter that will obviously not keep my pool clean. I believe the old one is a 60. Anyone's opinion would be very much appreciated. Thank you. [attachment=0:2wkt7qpr]zpfile003.jpg[/attachment:2wkt7qpr]

17. Back To Top    #17

IF you don't mind answering - why are you replacing the filter ? unless there is a leak / split seam - I would not be changing out a working filter just for the sake of "change".
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Replacing it due to leakage at the top of the filter tank neck....part can not be taken off and replaced. It is permanently attached. Some of the laterals bad, and I needed new spider gasket etc. Old filter started throwing filter media back into the pool. Easier to switch out.

19. Back To Top    #19

I wish I didn't have to change it out

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

I would not use that smaller filter. That's a big step backwards.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast