leaky bulkhead fittings

rmozer

Oct 13, 2012
Remsenburg/Speonk, NY
I have an old Hayward S200 sand filter and the bulkhead fittings started leaking this summer after I installed a new Hayward variable speed pump. Not sure if it's coincidental, or the new pump has put more pressure on the old boy than he's used to.
How do you remove the bulkhead fittings? Do they unscrew from the inside of the filter? Because the fittings on the outside are hex head, and are about 3", I'm hoping they will come off from the inside using a smaller wrench. I don't have a wrench that's as big as 3" unless I use a pipe wrench, which will bugger up the plastic fittings. Yes/No?

Thanks.

Bob

Bob,

Here is a link to a socket that I bought to replace the bulkhead fitting in my PacFab filter. It should also work for you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063 ... 00_details

Here is a link to an old thread about replacing the bulkhead connectors in a Triton filter but the process should essentially be the same although I have never seen a Hayward filter close up.

Filter Repair TR100

Regards,

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
If you type "Hayward S200 Sand Filter" into Google, the first hit is a pdf of the of a Hayward S200 manual. It has a parts diagram which seems to show o-rings at the bulkhead fittings and it looks like the fittings must be removed from the outside. If you wrap a couple of thicknesses of cloth rag around the hex surfaces you can avoid damaging the plastic surfaces with a pipe wrench. Otherwise there's always Harbor Freight for a cheap, humongo adjustable wrench.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.