Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump power consumption

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump power consumption

I recently bought a T.E.D. (The Energy Detective) It's a device consists of three parts: a Measuring Transmitting Unit, which taps directly into your home’s circuit-breaker wiring; a pair of Current Transformers, which are clamped around the thick power cables coming into your home; and a Receiving Unit Display, which plugs into a wall outlet and displays real-time power usage in kilowatts — as well as dollars and cents. Anyway....

I just wanted to post the energy usage of the new 2 speed motor that I bought, because I thought it might help somebody in the future.

Motor: Pentair 356630S 2 speed 1-1/2 HP Motor Rated 3.0 amps on low and 8 amps on high
    (It's my understanding this motor is used on the WFDS-4 Pool Pump Pentair Pump) I'm using it on a SuperFlo pump wet end.

Measured with T.E.D.

On Low Speed: 400 watts

On High Speed: 1,900 watts

A few examples below, the 2100 watts was the old single speed motor that I replaced. I should be saving around $55 per month with the new motor even with my low electric rates.

Hopefully this helps somebody in the future when upgrading or replacing a failed motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16,000 gallon, 1 hp 2-speed SuperFlo pump, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator, Pentair Clean & Clear 240 Filter, Mastertemp 250 Heater, Vera Z-Wave home automation, Intermatic CA3750 for pump control

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Pump power consumption

Thanks for posting these results, ZSK. T.E.D. seems to be pretty accurate since your results are about what we would expect to see in terms of energy usage in this situation.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pump power consumption

Good info. We usually state that low speed moves 1/2 the water for 1/4 the cost ... looks like in your case is is nearly down to 1/5 the cost.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!