Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement pool pump system; please advise!

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacement pool pump system; please advise!

I am finally ready to upgrade my Whisperflo to a VS pump to cut my electricity usage. Southern California rates are high and going higher. I am inclined to stick with Pentair and considering the VS 3050, but not committed to that brand/model. Would I need to upgrade my Compool 3400 control system to accommodate the new pump? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    21K gal, Built 2003, IG plaster, ComPool 3400 system, 2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair DE filter, Pentair Minimax NT 400 Heater, Aqua Rite SWG, Baracuda G4 sweep, Sam & Sal lights & spill over spa

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Fresno, CA

Re: Replacement pool pump system; please advise!

I am a big fan of the Pentair Intelliflo, you can do the Starite Intellipro, same exact motor and VSD, wet end differs, that is all. The programming and options on the Intelliflo is far beyond the other pumps on the market, and the ease of install would be a nice thing. I would call pentair and ask them about the compool 3400.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Replacement pool pump system; please advise!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Just wanted to point out that another option which would get you a majority of the electrical savings while with a lower initial cost would be to just replace the motor on your existing pump with a 2-speed motor.

But, if you can get a good rebate on the Intelliflo and your electricity is expensive, it should save you enough extra electrical cost to offset the initial cost difference in a few years or less.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!