Hi. First post here. Been reading the site for a week or so trying to get a grip on the concepts. It's a little bit like taking a drink of water with a fire hose!
I imagine I have caused a problem with trichloride pucks. We moved in to this home a month ago, water was blue and sparkly. Got it tested at pool store and they recommended adding pucks to "maintain" it. They also recommended Muriatic Acid 1/2 gallon. I added that and started pucking away with our pool duck. The pool tolerated this alright until we had a haboob ( big dust storm here in Phoenix ) and 2 days of rain. Pool started stinking and water clouded up and went green.
I noted algae on walls and steps then and went to the pool store again. They tested it and recommended shocking and raising alkalinity in the pool and sold me "Total Alkalinity" ( 15 lbs ) and a powder chlorine to shock with. I added those and when it didn't seem to be helping I started researching online and reading here. Ordered the TF-100 kit and have my first results.
FC - 11
CC - 0.5
pH - 7.2
TA - 130
CH - 300
CYA - 90
Borates - (I don't believe I am using them)
I was baffled at the CYA results coming so high but after pouring through threads I get the impression my trichloride "duck pucks" are adding 6ppm per 9 of chlorine. Bwuhhh.. I did not know there were more to these than chlorine.
I hope I am testing correctly. Terrified to make a move adding anything else until I know my numbers make sense. I wanted to trust the chemistry to the pool store but, well, it looks like they're using strips.
I am currently running the pump 24/7 going on 2 weeks now, I brush every day and am starting to get buff from this
Currently running the skimmer most of the time because my "The Poolcleaner" suction 4wheel cleaner says not to use it while shocking the water, and I think I am still in shock levels so I vacuum the slime off the bottom/ deep end about a 1/2 hour after brushing.
Any advice is welcome and appreciated!