Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pebble Tec, Pebble Fina, or Pebble Sheen?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pebble Tec, Pebble Fina, or Pebble Sheen?

We are currently planning the construction of our new pool in South Florida, and are looking for any member's experience with Pebble Tec versus the Pebble Fina and Pebble Sheen products. We realize these are all products from the same company. We were all set to go with Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze (recommended by our PB), but then our architect and builder told us it is "too rough, go with Pebble Fina." Our PB strongly recommended against Pebble Fina due to poor outcomes from several of their recent pool construction projects. Our PB is a high end installer, so I value their opinion. Now we are totally confused by the mixed messages from these highly qualified individuals. Our pool will be used by adults and small children. I have read that a 2-day Pebble Tec install (instead of a 1 day) will lead to a smoother finish, and the current Pebble Tec materials are now much smoother than several years ago. We are definitely planning on using the original products from the company, and not knock offs.

Last, if anyone has the Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze finish, are you satisfied with it? We are expecting the color to be a deeper blue, with very little (preferably no!) green tint. Please let us know if we picked the right color, or if we should consider another one!

Your thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pebble Tec, Pebble Fina, or Pebble Sheen?

When I checked out tec back in 06 I felt it would tear people up. I liked sheen much better and I don't remember a fina back then. Didn't end up going with any 'pebble ' in the end anyhow.
    Go see some of their completed builds with different finishes so you can choose what is best for you.

3. Back To Top    #3

Most aggregate finishes are "two day" installs because the second day is reserved for Acid Washing. This also includes the "knock offs" as you call them. Days to install have nothing to do with how smooth they are, it's all about what the components are, and how smooth they are to begin with. Of course the skill and attention of the installer comes into play as well.

PebbleTec has been around longer, but there are products just as good if not better than PT. Wet Edge being one of them. If you want smooth and have the money, go with a polished aggregate finish. Very pricy, but very nice and smooth. There are pros and cons to all finishes, but looking at samples and finished projects (as advised above) will get you where you want to be.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4

We have had a Pebbletec pool for eight years now. We are happy with the finish.

It doesn't seem that rough! Just a good non slip surface. Our previous pool was a traditional plaster finish and if you scraped against it with bare skin it was just as rough as the pebble finish. We did tile the seats in the spa, because my wife was concerned about what sitting on the pebble finish woul do to bathing suits.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

I got the pebblesheen. I think it is actually rougher than the regular pebbletec. Although any finish will take some skin if you scrape along it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!