Skimmer Motion cleaner - good idea.......

Davegvg

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 30, 2008
Always in search of the grail of suction side cleaning I tried out the "Skimmer Motion" skimmer.

It attaches to the bottom cleaner and has no moving parts.

To adjust the suction one rotates the "blue cup" in the center. It as 3 positions.
Regardless of setting I found it sucked air frequently even at low RPM and I had turn the pump way down.
It tangles itself pretty easily.

Worst of all its ineffective- the connection to the bottom cleaner picks up the cleaners cyclic vibration and causes the skimmer motion to oscillate effectively driving away all the small floaters and bits you want to clean out. Large pieces MAY get pulled in, but overall it just doesn't work.

Still searching for my beloved Polaris LCS replacement...

mMdoqW5.jpg

DA24LrE.jpg

rnEz2ue.jpg

Uncle Dave

Well I am amazed to see that G4 still working in your pool there. I am down to two on my route as they slowly fall apart. That front weight shield wears out and it is $90 part that isn't needed anyways. But I am off topic. I did request a Demo unit of the Skimmer Motion - actually several times over the last few months. They seem to be thinking it over pretty hard. That is usually a bad sign...

When I ask for Demo products usually the manufacturer jumps all over it. Although Skimmer Motion and Solaxx both seem reluctant. Solaxx even sent me an e-mail formally declining. My guess is their products aren't up to snuff. I asked Solar Breeze for a Demo and three days later I got a $500.00 cleaner in the mail. Same with Nexa Pure and Pentair. Skimmer Motion, like I said is still chewing on the idea like a bench player chewing on his tobacco wad.

You probably don't want to invest $500 for a robot surface skimmer (Solar Breeze). I can vouch for it. It works dandy. But it is $500.00...

Reactions: Aznewmom
mrdgvb1 said:
Well I am amazed to see that G4 still working in your pool there. I am down to two on my route as they slowly fall apart. That front weight shield wears out and it is $90 part that isn't needed anyways. But I am off topic. I did request a Demo unit of the Skimmer Motion - actually several times over the last few months. They seem to be thinking it over pretty hard. That is usually a bad sign...

When I ask for Demo products usually the manufacturer jumps all over it. Although Skimmer Motion and Solaxx both seem reluctant. Solaxx even sent me an e-mail formally declining. My guess is their products aren't up to snuff. I asked Solar Breeze for a Demo and three days later I got a $500.00 cleaner in the mail. Same with Nexa Pure and Pentair. Skimmer Motion, like I said is still chewing on the idea like a bench player chewing on his tobacco wad.

You probably don't want to invest $500 for a robot surface skimmer (Solar Breeze). I can vouch for it. It works dandy. But it is $500.00...

Thanks for weighing in!

Yeah the g4 is still holding on! on my second diaphragm....never had the ring piece anyway.
The Skimmer Motion is a bust too bad It had promise....

Actually the 500.00 isn't the issue at all. Its that my pool doesn't see unshaded sun (just looked outside) till about 1-4 each day, and I dont think thats going to "get er done" with the solar breeze or Id have one already!

UD

From the Demo Solar Breeze unit I am using it only needs 3 hours to charge and with that charge it runs a long time. They offer a 30 day return policy so you can try it. Not sure about the return shipping but you will probably have to pay that.

I actually have a discount code that will get you free shipping and $50.00 off if you order from them directly.

I like the Solar Breeze as it actually works.

mrdgvb1 said:
From the Demo Solar Breeze unit I am using it only needs 3 hours to charge and with that charge it runs a long time. They offer a 30 day return policy so you can try it. Not sure about the return shipping but you will probably have to pay that.

I actually have a discount code that will get you free shipping and $50.00 off if you order from them directly.

I like the Solar Breeze as it actually works.

Im looking at it closer now that I know 1-3 hours will cut it.

There seems to be some issue with the water height/ skimmer opening relative to the Solar Breezes wheels and overall height. How much shoudl I worry about that?

UD

Not really an issue. I have had the unit in 5 different pools. A few had straight overhanging coping/decking and with the proper water level the Solar Breeze does well. It only got stuck at one pool when the water level was low and the front bumper wheel got stuck under the overhang. The customer just added water and it was fine.

There wasn't any skimmer issues with the correct water level.

Im more interested after watching a few vids of how to clean it online.

It seems to hold a bunch of debris.
I have epic helicopter showers when the wind kicks up and Ill have to empty this tiny new skimmer basket 4 times in 3 hours.

Does it come with the fine mesh and have you tried a a paper towel for really fine dust?

Im wondering if I'm really cranking the RPMs (for solar gain) if its going to get sucked into the skimmer and held there.

It seems powerful enough escape at low to medium speed but I wonder about those full bore runs.

UD

It was probably one of my videos ;)

I have been thoroughly testing the Solar Breeze as I am now actively selling them to my pool route customers. Two have bought them already. One of the test pools had some work being done and the pool was off for a week. It sits under an oak tree. It was so full of debris that I couldn't even get the tray out... It holds about 2 skimmer baskets worth of debris. The debris tray consist of a fine mesh that sits on the bottom. This works extremely well as it picks up dirt and suntan lotion residue.

A couple of the test pools didn't get any Sunlight until after 11 am. So the Solar Breeze would run in the afternoon and into the night. It would sit "dead" in the pool charging until then. I don't think your skimmer will be an issue as long as the front bumper wheels can clear the opening. You can always run your pool in the morning to early afternoon while the Solar Breeze sits waiting for it's battery to fully charge.

You have a 30 day trial period to work all the bugs out. Maybe if you contact them there is someone who has a demo unit in your area. It is worth a shot as they have a large network of distributors - mainly small pool stores and pool guys.

In fact it was you mrdgvb.

The thing was so jam packed you had trouble with the tray. I suffer big time dust and helicopters vs. acorns or stick type debris that falls quickly.

From March till end of November I have a 20 hour pump run- 6-2AM.

Low RPM during the early morning and afternoon (just enough for effective skimming)
And high RPM for effective solar heating from about 8:30 to about 4PM.

I solar heat the pool till 1 PM then "valve over" to the spa and solar heat the spa which results ( along with solar heat for the spa for pump run costs) in no skimming at all for the pool- it is in this scenario where the breeze will really cover me.

The instant I let up the skimming even for a second the surface starts collecting debris...

Having bought every other toy on the face of the planet I'm going to try one of these.

IF anyone can find any NOS of the polaris LCS Id be happy to pick them up. this was the best low tech solution I could find.

about that 50 .00 off code......

Uncle Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.