Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: recommendations for a real pool blower machine for closing?

1. Back To Top    #1

recommendations for a real pool blower machine for closing?

I closed the pool myself ahead of the loop-loc cover installers. I did the air compressor line into the the pool pump drain with a fitting. Seemed to work fine to blow out the returns, but I have a check valve that kept air from going through the system/main drain/skimmer. So I turned the flapper around to blow that direction. Couldn't get the skimmer to really clear- still had water down there. Tried a stihl leaf blower from the skimmer with no luck either. And since my pool pilot SWG has a clear window on the bypass valve- I could see it was still half full of water. The pool guys saw what I did and said I'd better let them use their commercial blower to do the whole thing. Lots more water came out and they blew out everything in a few minutes. Cost me $150, the minimum 1hr labor. So if I'm going to pay $150 every season to get the pipes cleared out, I should just buy the $300 blower and do it myself. Any recommendations?
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: recommendations for a real pool blower machine for closi

Update- they used the orange model at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.poolcenter.com/winter_suppli ... ty_vac.htm

45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I have that exact one. I bought it so I could put my liner in, which worked great! The bonus was I could use it to blow my lines. I did a test run last week and using this blowing from the skimmer the MD's bubbled withing 30 seconds. Literally made the water look like it was boiling.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I'll pick one up next year then.