Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: fall pollen?????

1. Back To Top    #1

Marietta, GA

fall pollen?????

So Last Saturday I spent the day brushing the sides and vacuuming the entire pool, balancing chemicals and adding a bunch of bleach Because the entire pool bottom and walls were covered in yellow stuff. I was worried it was yellow mustard algae because pollen isn't that bad I think in the fall. I SLAMmed the pool several days but every night I passed the overnight FC test and my CC remained at 0 or 0.5. But after I vacuumed the pool the water was very cloudy (I assume because I stirred all of the dirt up with the brushing and vacuuming). It stayed cloudy but was clearing slowly as I was running the filter 24/7. Here's the kicker: But as the water cleared the yellow powder returned to the bottom of the pool. Again my FC and CC are testing well and I am taking the CYA in to account, it seems like I don't have anything growing in the pool. So what is this yellow stuff and how do I get rid of it? I have all my past #s (if you need them) but here are the ones from today.

FC= 8
    CC= 0
    pH= 7.5
    CYA= 60 ( i use to use dichlor but now use bleach)
    TA= 110
    CH= 100
    18K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward Proseries S210T sand filter, 1081 pool motor? , Installed 1997, new siding in 2006, Dolphin DX3, North Atlanta, GA

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Fresno, CA

Re: fall pollen?????

Take your time when you vac the pool, so you do not stir up the debris on the bottom. If it pollen there is not much you can do except clean it out. You do not want to leave it on the bottom. Is there any floating on the surface of the pool??

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: fall pollen?????

Pollen doesn't cling to the sides of the pool, but algae does. You likely need to continue the SLAM process:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.