Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt in Liquid Chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt in Liquid Chlorine?

So I went to the pool store to pick up some stabilizer and of course they want to test your water. I said I was OK, but thanks anyways. I then wanted to know their price on liquid chlorine and he was saying that he wasn't a fan of it... because it had salt in it.

I am new to all of this.................

..... but I've never heard that liquid chlorine had salt in it. If it does, then it must be a negligible amount.

So all I could think about was... of course he doesn't like liquid chlorine. He likes tablets... because tablets generally throw other things off like pH or CH... which in turn causes you to come back and buy more of his products. All of this of course was after he tested someone's water in front of me, of course telling them that their water was about half a day away from being a Florida Everglade Swamp. For granted, it may have been... since their chlorine was zero.

Anyways, am I missing something on the chemistry lesson here, does liquid chlorine have salt in it... and if so... how much?
    NEW POOL: 11k IGP, Pebbletec, Hayward Pro-Grid 3620 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair?/Emerson
    OLD POOL: 12.3k IGP, Pebbletec, Pentair 60 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair/Emerson + 1HP Pentair waterfall, Pentair IC40, and borated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt in Liquid Chlorine?

bleach = sodium hypochlorite

so yes has salt, but not enough to worry about
    12000g outdoor, inground gunite, pebbletec. Cartridge filter. 2.0 HP Jandy pump, taylor test kit
    399,000 BTU Raypak LPG Heater, stenner pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Chlorinating liquid and bleach have salt in them because of the Chlor-Alkali process that makes the chlorine. Electrolysis similar to what is done in a saltwater chlorine generator produces chlorine gas (except that this is extracted as a gas and not just dissolved in water). This is then combined with a solution of sodium hydroxide that is also produced from the electrolysis. So you mix them and get:

Cl2(g) + NaOH ---> NaOCl + NaCl
    Chlorine Gas + Sodium Hydroxide ---> Sodium Hypochlorite + Sodium Chloride

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) in chlorinating liquid or bleach, there is also around 8-9 ppm salt. When the chlorine gets used/consumed, there is another 8-9 ppm salt for a total of 17 ppm salt.

ALL sources of chlorine result in salt, but chlorinating liquid and bleach (as well as lithium hypochlorite) add additional salt when you add the chlorine. Of course, other sources of chlorine add other things than salt. Cal-Hypo adds calcium increasing Calcium Hardness (CH) while stabilized chlorine (Trichlor and Dichlor) add Cyanuric Acid (CYA). The CH and CYA that are added are much more problematic than the salt that is added from chlorinating liquid or bleach.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Chem geek I was just writing up how NaClO when mixed in water would yeild Cl and Na (and others)... but not directly NaCl. I am guessing that once the Cl is used that it recombines to make NaCl... which is how the whole SWG system loop runs in a way.

In either case... I think my point was that the guy is shunning liquid chlorine because of a negligible amount of salt... in favor of tablets that spike CYA and CH which keeps you in his store.
    NEW POOL: 11k IGP, Pebbletec, Hayward Pro-Grid 3620 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair?/Emerson
    OLD POOL: 12.3k IGP, Pebbletec, Pentair 60 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair/Emerson + 1HP Pentair waterfall, Pentair IC40, and borated

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) in chlorinating liquid or bleach, there is also around 8-9 ppm salt. When the chlorine gets used/consumed, there is another 8-9 ppm salt for a total of 17 ppm salt.

ALL sources of chlorine result in salt, but chlorinating liquid and bleach (as well as lithium hypochlorite) add additional salt when you add the chlorine. Of course, other sources of chlorine add other things than salt. Cal-Hypo adds calcium increasing Calcium Hardness (CH) while stabilized chlorine (Trichlor and Dichlor) add Cyanuric Acid (CYA). The CH and CYA that are added are much more problematic than the salt that is added from chlorinating liquid or bleach.
    To this I will only add that salt doesn't become a problem until it gets in to the several thousand ppm range. CH can become a problem in the several hundred range, and CYA starts to become a problem when it rises over 50 (for non-SWG pools). I think I will stick with liquid myself, far less draining involved.

If you continue to frequent that pool store, be sure to take everything with a grain of salt. Um, pun not intended
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you continue to frequent that pool store, be sure to take everything with a grain of salt
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I bet if you asked about Salt Walter Chlorine Generators he'd have been a big ole fan of salt in the water!
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh I forgot to mention, with the people before me he was fanning the idea of mandatory draining of pools every 2 years - "that is just the way it is."

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by peacefulkancer
    Oh I forgot to mention, with the people before me he was fanning the idea of mandatory draining of pools every 2 years - "that is just the way it is."
    He is right. When you use Dichlor/Trichlor as a sole or major source of Chlorine all the time you'll have to drain to get your Cya back down to proper levels.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    He is right. When you use Dichlor/Trichlor as a sole or major source of Chlorine all the time you'll have to drain to get your Cya back down to proper levels.
    Yep, exactly.

11. Back To Top    #11

Dumping the pool every two years would have been a deal for me back when I used Trichlor. I was dumping about a quarter of the water every month just to keep the CYA levels around 60. Lower than that was impossible. I was spending as much on water then as I am on liquid chlorine now. Then there was all the stuff the pool store sold me on top of the tablets to keep algae from exploding. PhosFree, algae inhibitors, algae killers, etc. The pink bacteria was especially annoying and hard to get rid of without regular shocking. On top of that, tons of acid, alkalinity up, and calcium. Now all I mostly buy is a little acid and liquid chlorine from Lowes, Depot, or Warehouse Pool Supply and my pool looks better than any other time in it's 11-year history. I use a Liquidator which I installed with no drilling off a Tee from my old tablet chlorinator and my pump drain. I also added twenty mule team borax to 50 ppm borate levels. I keep my CYA at around 20-30ppm by adding a few tablets to the old chlorinator after a back flush. I also add a little calcium to keep levels above 250ppm.

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome to TFP!

Glad to hear The Liquidator and chlorinating liquid are working out well for you.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes indeed, good to hear it's working for you. Kudos!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem