tgib123 - mustard algae

Jul 3, 2013
Long Island, NY
Split fromhttp://www.troublefreepool.com/the- ... 37535.html Please don't hijack another's thread. I have started a new one for you. duraleigh

based on the descriptions that I read I believe i had/have mustard algae - low chlorine level led to slippery floor & walls, even yellowbrownish foam on top of water. The buildup on the floor would seem to come up just by walking through it, but when i tried to vacuum it up, it did not work. I had only been shocking at 1 lb per 2 weeks. I learned that for my 13K gal pool I should shock with 2 lbs. and brushed the walls. This did the trick- the mess on the floor came up easily with the vacuum and 1 month later (at constant chlorine/ph levels) there is still no slimy feel anywhere.
The problem is that the water became cloudy after the shock, so i cleaned then ran my cartridge filter for 3 days non-stop, but cant get rid of it. I am about to clean the filter again and maybe use a coagulant. Any thoughts?

You don't shock at a number of pounds per week. You do a SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain where you raise the Free Chlorine (FC) to a high level and that is determined based on the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level and you add whatever amount of chlorine is needed to maintain that level. I suggest you read the SLAM article as well as others in the Pool School. You also need to get a proper test kit as well (see Test Kits Compared).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.