adding solid CYA to the pool

May 2, 2013
South Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have read that if you add solid CYA in a sock through the skimmer, it takes about a week before you will get a good New CYA reading. I have also read where folks recommend putting the sock filled with CYA in front of a return jet in the pool......when it is done this way do you still have to wait about a week to get a new good CYA reading, if not about how long......Thanks, John

It takes about the same amount of time.

Solid (actually granuals/powder) will slowly dissolve in a matter of days. But, how many days depends on your equipment, run time, water temp, etc (all those danged variables). It could take up to a week for it to fully dissolve and test correctly.

That's why we recommend "about a week" so that you don't test too early and waste reagents unnecessarily.

btw, we recommend hanging the sock in front of a return so that you don't take a chance on blocking the skimmer :wink:

Many thanks for the explanation, Now I understand why I read the two different ways of adding the solid CYA.

Should I still run the skimmer pump 24 hours while adding the CYA in front of the return jet the first day or is about 12 hours fine before returning to running it 6 hours daily? John

If I understand you correctly, then once the CYA has desolved in the sock at the return jet , then if I run the pump another 12 hours, I'm then OK to return back to my usual 6 hours a day. Correct. John

Run your pool as long as it takes to keep it clean....it's a learning experience. Generally, we suggest to start with twelve hours if the pool is new to you and then get shorter and shorter until you notice it's not keeping your pool at the appropriate cleanliness.

My pool is about 10 hours in the middle of the summer....much lower in the dead of winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.