I hate this time of the year

danpik

TFP Guide
Jun 4, 2012
western NY

finally covered the pool for the season. Water is in the low 60's and we have not used it since early Aug this year due to weather and commitments. Here is to hoping that next summer will be a bit nicer. BTW, today the temp is in the low 80's. tomorrow, low 60's. Typical WNY weather. Oh well, at least I can get 18 holes in this afternoon.

I need to put a frown on the other side of the smiley and turn him that way for the off season.

I am taking my pool down tomorrow. Water was 65 but I had to go in one last time, so I wore my shorty wetsuit. Even so, it was brisk. The cold water brought me to my senses that summer is over, and I'm fooling myself thinking that we will use the pool again until next season. No regrets, it was a good summer.

Hate it too. No swimming, wearing jackets will be a reality soon. This leads to the thought of my wifes car and my car not being able to go anywhere if it gets real bad, only my junky old 4wd Tahoe being able to go anywhere is sure depressing. I hate winter and I live in OK. I can't even imagine how bad I'd hate it in a more northern latitude.

No one's swam here in a week or more. Water is 70f today. About to start draining within the hour. Its a shame all my still perfect 5ppm fc water going to the treatment plant. They should pay me for it! I wish there was a way I could send it to someone in like Brazil or Argentina whose just setting up for the season.

And yet we are having a pool party today! The water temp is 86, air temp 94. Beef brisket is on the smoker. I don't miss the long cold winters and the very hot summers here become worth the price this time of year!

Last weekend was my last swim in 75 degree water, now at 70. It was a great summer for me too. I don't do anything special for off-season pool care. I keep mine uncovered and fairly clean through the Winter. When it gets below freezing I just set my timer to run the pump for 30 minutes every 2 hours.

Summer 2014 will be here before you know it.

I don't mean to tease (or maybe I do)....

Had to fire up the heater today, water had gotten down to 80 this morning. When I stoked the fire last time, water was back up to 85.

Projected low for tonight is 46. got down to 50 last night.

As long as the wood supply holds out, mine will remain open and swimmable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would agree....we are in the "stages" of closing our pool today. Air Temps have been really cool, and the pool water has been at 56F all week. We do have a heater but with the air this cold nobody wants to swim even with warm water...So today is Closing day! ;(

danpik said:

finally covered the pool for the season. Water is in the low 60's and we have not used it since early Aug this year due to weather and commitments. Here is to hoping that next summer will be a bit nicer. BTW, today the temp is in the low 80's. tomorrow, low 60's. Typical WNY weather. Oh well, at least I can get 18 holes in this afternoon.

I need to put a frown on the other side of the smiley and turn him that way for the off season.

I am in WNY as well and final closing will be done today and will look like yours. :( Even though we have had some nice days the water is too cold to get in ( I tried). Let's hope next summer goes longer. We never had our Indian Summer, I kept hoping.

Summer is over and my pool is safely packed away in my basement. I need to do something about my sand filter because I can't leave it where it is.

Next spring I'll clean up the site and re-level, and then put down some foam boards under the pool liner.[attachment=0:3jgivys2]Intex3771.jpg[/attachment:3jgivys2]

Attachments

• Intex3771.jpg
    Intex3771.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 135
Our pool is at 66 degrees (too cold for me) and i was just waiting for it to get below 60 to close--when low and behold two brave kids of our friends jumped in last night and had a blast swimming by the light of the pool while us old folks sat on the porch and watched with amazement.

Made me so happy!!
:p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.