Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I hate this time of the year

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

I hate this time of the year

finally covered the pool for the season. Water is in the low 60's and we have not used it since early Aug this year due to weather and commitments. Here is to hoping that next summer will be a bit nicer. BTW, today the temp is in the low 80's. tomorrow, low 60's. Typical WNY weather. Oh well, at least I can get 18 holes in this afternoon.

I need to put a frown on the other side of the smiley and turn him that way for the off season.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I hate this time of the year

No posting such sad pictures allowed here!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I am taking my pool down tomorrow. Water was 65 but I had to go in one last time, so I wore my shorty wetsuit. Even so, it was brisk. The cold water brought me to my senses that summer is over, and I'm fooling myself thinking that we will use the pool again until next season. No regrets, it was a good summer.
    Jim
    Intex 15' x 42" -- 4,000 gallons
    installed August 2012
    Intex 2650 sand filter, Hayward skimmer
    TF-100 test kit, TFP method

5. Back To Top    #5

Hate it too. No swimming, wearing jackets will be a reality soon. This leads to the thought of my wifes car and my car not being able to go anywhere if it gets real bad, only my junky old 4wd Tahoe being able to go anywhere is sure depressing. I hate winter and I live in OK. I can't even imagine how bad I'd hate it in a more northern latitude.

No one's swam here in a week or more. Water is 70f today. About to start draining within the hour. Its a shame all my still perfect 5ppm fc water going to the treatment plant. They should pay me for it! I wish there was a way I could send it to someone in like Brazil or Argentina whose just setting up for the season.
    ------------------------------------
    18' Summer escapes with original skimmer + intex pump + intex sand filter w/ Zeolite, Intex SWG. 1x ecosaver 50sqft solar panel with dedicated pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

And yet we are having a pool party today! The water temp is 86, air temp 94. Beef brisket is on the smoker. I don't miss the long cold winters and the very hot summers here become worth the price this time of year!
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Last weekend was my last swim in 75 degree water, now at 70. It was a great summer for me too. I don't do anything special for off-season pool care. I keep mine uncovered and fairly clean through the Winter. When it gets below freezing I just set my timer to run the pump for 30 minutes every 2 hours.

Summer 2014 will be here before you know it.

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't mean to tease (or maybe I do)....

Had to fire up the heater today, water had gotten down to 80 this morning. When I stoked the fire last time, water was back up to 85.

Projected low for tonight is 46. got down to 50 last night.

As long as the wood supply holds out, mine will remain open and swimmable.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I could keep mine warm enough to swim at this time of year. Heater is plenty big enough. The air temp doesn't make it tempting enough. We will be low 70's today with real low humidity
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Me too. It's one thing I wont miss about the AGB. Soon as it cools off at night for a few days, it's over.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

I would agree....we are in the "stages" of closing our pool today. Air Temps have been really cool, and the pool water has been at 56F all week. We do have a heater but with the air this cold nobody wants to swim even with warm water...So today is Closing day! ;(
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm really down too, on the flip side I absolutely love Halloween so I pulled out my decorations to cheer me up. Also, I love your deck, it's exactly what I want to build next year!
    [center:206csv7f]Pro Series 18" X 52" AKA "Poolio"
    Intex 2500 .5 HP
    Intex SWG
    [/center:206csv7f]

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by danpik

finally covered the pool for the season. Water is in the low 60's and we have not used it since early Aug this year due to weather and commitments. Here is to hoping that next summer will be a bit nicer. BTW, today the temp is in the low 80's. tomorrow, low 60's. Typical WNY weather. Oh well, at least I can get 18 holes in this afternoon.

I need to put a frown on the other side of the smiley and turn him that way for the off season.

I am in WNY as well and final closing will be done today and will look like yours. Even though we have had some nice days the water is too cold to get in ( I tried). Let's hope next summer goes longer. We never had our Indian Summer, I kept hoping.
    ProSeries Above Ground 20x4 Sand filter 1 hp

14. Back To Top    #14

Summer is over and my pool is safely packed away in my basement. I need to do something about my sand filter because I can't leave it where it is.

Next spring I'll clean up the site and re-level, and then put down some foam boards under the pool liner.[attachment=0:3jgivys2]Intex3771.jpg[/attachment:3jgivys2]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim
    Intex 15' x 42" -- 4,000 gallons
    installed August 2012
    Intex 2650 sand filter, Hayward skimmer
    TF-100 test kit, TFP method

15. Back To Top    #15

Our pool is at 66 degrees (too cold for me) and i was just waiting for it to get below 60 to close--when low and behold two brave kids of our friends jumped in last night and had a blast swimming by the light of the pool while us old folks sat on the porch and watched with amazement.

Made me so happy!!
    :P
    38,900 gal., UG, vinyl, SWG, Hayward w/T-15, 1.0HP pump, sand filter, Aquabot Turbo-T

16. Back To Top    #16

We are back up to 75F right now (thanks to the solar panels and solar cover) and plan to have a swim after tonight's activities...not too many more though.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.