Staining a new Deck

fannd

Sep 19, 2013
Need some advice from the experts on deck staining. we have a brand new deck and need to know what is the best stain to use. I have looked into using Olympic brand and Cabot. Have concerns about it being slippery when wet, have been told not to use Thompson's Water sheild.
any advice would be appreciated. thanks. :-D

Over on the DIY Chatroom there is an excellent painting forum. There are several pro's that hang out there. I know most do not like the thompsons products as well as some of the other big name products. A lot of good experience there to get info from.

danpik said:
Over on the DIY Chatroom there is an excellent painting forum. There are several pro's that hang out there. I know most do not like the thompsons products as well as some of the other big name products. A lot of good experience there to get info from.

Where exactly do i look for the DIY Chat room?

If you do not want to deal with peeling, cracking and the stripping to refinish I would stay away from anything that forms a film on the boards which most do. I use readyseal on my deck and it is very easy to work with and redo. The only thing is if this is next to your pool I do not know how it will hold up with the chlorinated water getting on it repeatedly.

sorry, forgot the link. Hopefully you get it before it gets removed from this post.
Danpik,

I am a bit surprised that you think this link would be removed. We remove links for the following....

1. Direct advertising.

2. Members with less than 200 posts are not allowed links in their post or sig......usually. There is a lot of moderator discretion in this rule and if a Mod feels the link is pertinent to OP's question and not a diversion trying to sell another product or service, we frequently waive the 200 post rule.

Of these, Direct advertising by commercial people trying to slip in an unsolicited plug for their product are the most common.

With your 308 posts and an on-topic, helpful response, what would make you think it would be removed?

duraleigh said:
sorry, forgot the link. Hopefully you get it before it gets removed from this post.
Danpik,

I am a bit surprised that you think this link would be removed. We remove links for the following....

1. Direct advertising.

2. Members with less than 200 posts are not allowed links in their post or sig......usually. There is a lot of moderator discretion in this rule and if a Mod feels the link is pertinent to OP's question and not a diversion trying to sell another product or service, we frequently waive the 200 post rule.

Of these, Direct advertising by commercial people trying to slip in an unsolicited plug for their product are the most common.

With your 308 posts and an on-topic, helpful response, what would make you think it would be removed?

Well...A while back I received a rather strongly worded PM from a mod about putting links to other forums and told not to do it any more as they would be removed when found. I figured this time it might be ok this time but, one never knows.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.