Liner Choices.....

DMAN11

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA area
We are looking through some choices for liners. I have talked to a few people, and looked at a few pools. We are getting differing opinions on light versus dark, and blue versus white versus greenish, versus greyish...etc.

We were told light is better than dark for the lighting effects at night. We are gonna have a regular light in the pool, saving the extra $$ from the LED's. So, we were told if we did that, we could go with a little darker liner because the regular light is much brighter than LED lights. We were told that the blue liners give you longer life when they start fading. Sort of fade to light blue, then to white,,,,, instead of light liners just fading straight to white. Then there is the "darker liners hold more heat" areguements, and lighter liners keep the pool cooler in summer. OHHHH, what do we believe and not believe???????

Anyways,,,, I was wondering what liners you guys picked, and what influenced your choices, if anything. What experiences have you guys had thus far?? I know I am over analyzing everything, but give me a break on this stuff. It's the first pool for us so we don't have prior experience on any of this stuff. (haven't been there, haven't done that) Just trying to make educated choices...

These are 2 finalists,,,,any opinions on these???

caesars_palace.jpg
cheyenne.jpg

Thanks for ANY replies,,,,,,,

DMAN

My personal choice would be the one on the left, the watery looking one. Can't tell you why - I just like it and its tile motif better.

As to lights, we have one regular light in our AGP and while it's excellent for vacuuming because it shows absolutely every speck of dirt and all dips, dimples, wrinkles and whatnot in the liner, it does the same to swimmers. It's not a flattering light, no matter what colour cover we put over it, and I dislike swimming with it on.

The only reason I use the light is for cleaning and putting the cover on after dark. I have a 250W light. It draws bugs and is too bright. I have a fairly dark liner. When I have to replace the liner, I'm going to see about a different light niche so I can go LED. We light 4 tiki torches around the pool and have enough light to see the drain, and have a much more pleasant setting.

I too am curious about the color/heat differences. We currently have a liner similar to the one on the right, above. It is bleached white around the bottom edge from previous owners mis-use of shock. We are looking to replace soon, and I am thinking that a darker color will mean warmer water(it's been 84f for two weeks, sits mostly in full sun, pump runs for 6 hours from 5-11pm.) Anybody gone from light->dark had temperature increases?
Thanks!
Alan

JohnT said:
We light 4 tiki torches around the pool and have enough light to see the drain, and have a much more pleasant setting.

Yep, tiki torches is what we use for pool lighting. Unless I get really funky and use the battery powered floating light that changes colour. Christmas present from a friend. My husband says I'm stuck in the '60s. There's no shame in that. Old hippies never die :)

Take the one on the left. Our liner is about that colour, different pattern (and 14 years old so faded), next door they have a light coloured liner (2 years old) like the one on the right and IMHO it doesn't look nearly as good as ours, really dull looking.

Considering I have the liner on the right. The only difference is that my colored triagle tiles are green. Get the one on the left. The dirt is difficult to see when cleaning and if you ever get a hole or tear in the liner they are very hard to find on the liner on the right. I have had mine for 9 years now and the fade is very evident this year as I had to do a witerline patch. The patch is so vibrant that the rest of the liner looks really old.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Everybody,,,,

We appreciate your input. Man, this is a great forum,,,,,has anyone said that before?...hehe

We did decide to go with the liner on the left, the Ceasar's Palace for our pool. After seeing the two different liners in actual pools, we thought it held up better against the sun, and looked very nice to boot. It gave us the look we wanted.

Again, thanks for all the input and info you guys give here at TFP, it makes the journey worth taking....or at least bearable at times....hehehe

Thanks,,,,,

DMAN

PB informed us that we are 8th on their list as of last week. So it looks like the middle to end of August. Hope we still have swimming season when we get our pool....

Can't resist....I like the one on the right! Probably because it's the one I have or close to it. We opted for it even before we decided to redo the whole deck around the pool and then picked paver colors bsaed on the liner and (we think!) it turned out great. Will have to post a picture one fo these days.......

We used to have the one on the right and just installed a new liner with the one on the left!! Let me know if you'd like me to take a picture and send it to you. I really prefer the darker color of our new liner (left one) however my son made the comment, "Man, that darker color really makes the water look cold!!". This made me think of something that I didn't consider but may be a factor. The darker colors absorb more heat so I guess it is possible that this darker colored liner may help to heat up the pool water which, here in Chicago, could be a blessing!

Bottom line: Both liner styles are very nice so you really can't go wrong either way. Hope you enjoy your new pool!!

I like the one on the right :) To me it just looks more natural, more like an authentic plaster/pebbled finish. Sorry if I confuse you any, I know that most people liked the one on the left. Please see my comparison thread. I need help too!

I have the one on the right. We liked the grey stones/tiles which tie into our interlocking stone around the pool area. I don't understand one of the other posters problems with seeing dirt. I find the dirt jumps right out at you if there is any in the bottom. A couple pics below for you.

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.