New pool and owner, filling continues

Jun 3, 2008
Senatobia, Ms
I have enjoyed reading the posts for a few weeks now....The installers were great 3hrs...and gone..
30 ft. AGP, he said put a hose in it and don't back fill the sides until its full of water. Oh and go to pool school saturday they will tell you what to do after that.......great advice. So now I am almost half full,up to the bottom return (dual returns) (hayward 2hp sand filter w/zeobrite) Does anybody have any advice on what I should be doing now....chemicals? or something. The system I bought is called Permasalt, but now that I am educated...I know its a water ionizer, they gave this bucket of chemicals, two bags of shock type chemicals and one 40 pound bag of salt. Any thoughts ???

My thought is to forget the permasalt system and go with BBB. I think you'll be happier. Very little turns up about Permasalt on Google.

Pics coming soon.....almost full...yeah!! I called Watson's and asked what to do..The "water lady" said put 3 bags of salt in and the 25 lb bucket of "permasalt" chemicals with borates. Run pump for a day or two and test water...I called back and talked to te pool school guy, he said one bag of salt and the bucket of permasalt, the check the alkalinity. Probally need to call him back...(he said)
Checked my water with a strip and it showed alkalinity about 180 to 200. No FC, of course, No CYA, Help !!!!

Are you near a pool store where they can test a water sample for you? Don't buy anything from them yet, just get a full set of tests, including metals (fill water is from your tap, I assume).

There won't be CYA in your water yet, you have to add it. It's also called "stabilizer" and you can buy it in granular form at Walmart, or places that have pool chemicals.

With no FC in the water, it's not a great idea to go 2 days without chlorine. That's just asking for trouble.

Have you made the decision on BBB or permasalt? Cause if your going BBB then throw a jug of bleach in there as soon as your filter is turned on. Slowly pour it in front of the water return or thru the skimmer, and keep the filter running for a few hours. You will lose your chlorine rapidly with no CYA in there, so get that going asap. Pour it in your skimmer and don't backwash for a week. Use the pool calculator to get the proper dosage for your pool.

In Pool School, there is an article about lowering your TA, which you can follow.

Test strips are very unaccurate, so your own test kit is essential and the most important piece of equipment you'll own next to the pool itself....I like the TF 100. Either way a kit will take a couple days thus my suggestion to get to the pool store and have them run a test for you, it may not be accurate but at least it's a starting point and something to compare to your strips.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.