Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Howdy!

1. Back To Top    #1

Howdy!

Hi y'all, I'm Freqz. I live in Longview, TX but am moving to Dallas soon (next month). We closed on our house Monday and I finally had my test kit and some time at the house this morning.

First things first...our pool:

19x34 25000 gal plaster.

Test results:
    FC 2.5
    CC 0.5
    TA 130
    CH 450
    CYA 70
    Ph 8.2

Not awesome but I was expecting worse...POs had TWO tab floaters in there.

Cleaned the baskets and the basket on the sweep. Neglected to get a pressure reading on the filter.

I added two gallons of 8.25% bleach which should bring FC up to 9ish...I didn't have time to stop anywhere that had muratic acid to lower the Ph (WallyWorld only had some powder that I didn't recognize).

Question: I'm only going to be at the house once a week or so for the next month. How often should I have MIL stop by and add a gallon of bleach? Every day? Every other day? My gut says every other day until I can stop back by next week, retest, and adjust from there (MIL is capable of pouring a gallon of bleach in but I don't trust her to run the test kit)

Thanks!
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Howdy!

One gallon (not bottle) of 8.25% bleach every other day might not be enough as that is 3.4 ppm FC and your daily chlorine demand might be closer to 2 ppm. Of course, there could be algae growth so the chlorine demand could be even higher until you SLAM the pool. Assuming the pool is in full sun, I'd have the MIL add 1.25 gallons (20 cups) of 8.25% bleach every other day or half that amount every day (if willing). That should tie things over until you are able to SLAM the pool or otherwise get it into shape.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

chem geek has given you good advice (as usual). So I will say Howdy from a fellow Texan and Welcome you to TFP!

Nice pool and covered patio.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi there, and Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys...I'll have her up the dose until I can get back to it next week. Hopefully I can keep this pool from getting too woolly before I move in and can give it the attention it deserves.

Next up sorting out the maze of pipe and valves controlling all of this stuff...

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

From that pic, your pool seems a bit murky. There is a good chance your FC consumption will be higher than what you think.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Made it back to the house yesterday. I've had MIL adding two 121 oz jugs of 8.25% every third day...FC was 4.5, CC 0.5...water was crystal clear. If I can keep this schedule up for another 20 days I think I'll be able to at least have it under control by the time we move in.

8. Back To Top    #8

Congrats on the house and the new pool, looks like you have things going good for now.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome. Good advice thus far.

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to tfp, freqz

The ph you listed is high. Most kits (which one do you have?) read 8.2 even if it is above that. You should get that down soon using Muriatic acid. Leaving it that high (we don't know how high it really is) can put you at risk for calcium scaling.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Welcome to tfp, freqz

The ph you listed is high. Most kits (which one do you have?) read 8.2 even if it is above that. You should get that down soon using Muriatic acid. Leaving it that high (we don't know how high it really is) can put you at risk for calcium scaling.

I have the tf-100... My ph test looks like this

Last week when I tested it looked between 7.8 and 8.2. Dropped muratic acid in per the pool calculator, thanks .( I ran out of time on my first trip and couldn't get acid...Wally world only had something called Ph Down and I'm not about to go putting something in the pool I don't understand.)

MIL gave the pool another 2 jugs of bleach yesterday...I left her a pretty good stack in the garage. I'll be in town tomorrow through Saturday and I'll actually have a bit of time to mess with it. The packing crew shows up in two weeks. Yikes.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

.Wally world only had something called Ph Down and I'm not about to go putting something in the pool I don't understand.
    Give yourself a gold star. An important part of the procedures and methods we teach is doing just that.....if your not SURE of the outcome, don't put it in.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School