Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Found a leak - easy fix, but it eroded some dirt

1. Back To Top    #1

Found a leak - easy fix, but it eroded some dirt

Hi Folks,

Haven't posted in a while, because I haven't had any issues. You all helped me get through my first 6 years of pool ownership - switching from tabs to liquid chlorine, installing a new pump & sand filter and finally installing a SWCG. I hope I can get some input on my latest issue.

Pool drained about 6" overnight - that can't be good...

I did some digging and found the break in the suction line between the skimmer and pump. It will be an easy fix.

[attachment=2:mqp21wnt]3 erosion.JPG[/attachment:mqp21wnt]

BUT... it looks like it washed away a good bit of dirt, or maybe it had been a slow leak for a long time and had been eroding dirt for a while. The pool is probably around 15-20 years old and in need of refinishing (but I'm putting that off as long as I can).

As I was opening up the area around the leak, I moved a few decorative stones and saw the big gap under the pool deck.

[attachment=1:mqp21wnt]5 erosion.JPG[/attachment:mqp21wnt]

The view into the hole

[attachment=0:mqp21wnt]4 erosion.JPG[/attachment:mqp21wnt]

Do I need to backfill this? I don't think it affects the pool structurally, but maybe it does?

If I do need to backfill this, what's the best way?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13K gal - IG gunite/plaster - 1 1/2 HP pump - 300lb. sand filter - SWCG
    Support TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Found a leak - easy fix, but it eroded some dirt

I would backkfill it just to make myself feel better. I would use whatever you have available that will compact. You can use a shovel handle to compact it if it's not any larger than it looks.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I think I'd need to dig out a bunch in front of the pool in order to get fill under there. I have a hunch the water ran along the pool shell and washed out a lot of dirt. I was just hoping the answer would be "Nah, don't worry about it"...

I think any backfilling/compacting I did without opening it up would just be on the surface.

Not sure if I'm explaining this well.

If any other pool builders/experts want to chime in, I'm all ears.
    13K gal - IG gunite/plaster - 1 1/2 HP pump - 300lb. sand filter - SWCG
    Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not a builder or expert, but the one area under my concrete deck that I dug out and had a similar overhanging layer of concrete is the first area I've noticed has cracked. I poorly backfilled it and didn't make much of an effort to compact it.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Unsupported concrete will almost always crack. I would do what it takes to support the entire unsupported area. You really have to get it in tight to be effective.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Maybe mix up some concrete in a wheelbarrow and shove it up in there.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320