Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HDX Germicidal (8.25%) vs Outdoor Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

HDX Germicidal (8.25%) vs Outdoor Bleach

Hi I am traveling and my wife picked up the Outdoor HDX bleach, not the 8.25% Germicidal. Other than being more expensive and weaker , are there additives that would be a problem? I don't see anything on the MSDS, but I'm not sure. Thanks!
    12k gal IGP/Spa, gunite, Jandy 2HP ePump VSP, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge Filter, LXI400 Heater, PebbleSheen, Polaris 280, stenner 45MPHP10 auto chorine feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HDX Germicidal (8.25%) vs Outdoor Bleach

Yes, they have soaps/detergents in them. I would not advise using them in the pool at all. Take them back, or save them for scrubbing up the patio or some such thing.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I looked at this HDX Outdoor Bleach MSDS and do not see any additives either. However, note that not all ingredients are required to be listed on the MSDS. For example, look at these two pages from the Clorox web site (scroll towards the bottom of each page below):

Outdoor Bleach
    Regular Bleach (what we recommend)
    Note the difference in the ingredients. In particular, the Outdoor bleach contains two ingredients that the Regular bleach does not: (1) Cetyl Betaine (a surfactant and thickener) and (2) Sodium Xylene Sulfonate (co-thickener).

Now, if you look at the MSDS for Outdoor and Regular bleach, both list the same ingredients.
    So as for what to do with the HDX Outdoor Bleach...To be totally on the safe side, I would either return it or use it for the laundry or other cleaning needs.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, thanks! We will return it.
    12k gal IGP/Spa, gunite, Jandy 2HP ePump VSP, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge Filter, LXI400 Heater, PebbleSheen, Polaris 280, stenner 45MPHP10 auto chorine feeder

5. Back To Top    #5

I think the HDX outdoor bleach is labeled wrong on the three bottle box. After I had already used 2 quarts, I realized I had the wrong item. Took back and exchanged for another case and was cautious to get the germicidal bleach label on the box. Got home ready to pour in pool and had the outdoor again. Back to home depot, will get 3 separate bottles this time
    2009 19k, IG, Quartzscape negative edge w/waterfall, 8' raised spa w/waterfall ,Pentair WF28 2hp, Jandy 1.5hp pump for water fall feature, Polaris 280 cleaner with booster pump,400,000 Jandy LXI heater, Jandy DE 60 filter.