Choosing between sand pumps

Sep 18, 2013
Brand spanking new....just put up our pool last Saturday. (No water, NOT brave enough yet!) Getting ready to make the purchase on the pump. I thought I had made up my mind after researching Amazon, for many hours (looking at all the customer reviews). I was going to purchase the Intex 56681EGSand Filter Pump & Saltwater System Combo unit, until I read all the posts on TFP about ordering the units separately. My second option was ordering the Intex 56673EG 14 inch sand pump & the Intex 54601 EG Krystal Clear Saltwater System. This was based mostly on the customer reviews. It does appear that many from the TFP site recommend the Intex 56671EG 2650 Sand Filter instead. The price is only a few dollars more. We have a 15'x42" AG. Would the 2650 be the better purchase? I need to order it within the next 2 days. My husband will most likely be using the similar pvc set up that I have seen a few ppl post. Will he need to purchase any extra fittings, or will he be able to find most of what is needed at Home Depot or LOWES? Hoping to purchase and instal the Hayward SP1091Lx Pool skimmer/accessory kit also. Not sure if everything is included for installation. :? Any advice/expertise would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to tfp, ChickenMama :wave:

Good call on planning to get the swg separate from the filter/pump!

ChickenMama said:
Would the 2650 be the better purchase?
If you want to use a suction side vacuum, the 2650 will have more suction, but even the 1600 can vacuum. However, in terms of filter size, either will work for your pool.

ChickenMama said:
Will he need to purchase any extra fittings, or will he be able to find most of what is needed at Home Depot or LOWES?
He should be able to find everything there. The trickiest part to find is the box adapter, but I am fairly certain most lowes have it (I got mine at home depot).

ChickenMama said:
Hoping to purchase and instal the Hayward SP1091Lx Pool skimmer/accessory kit also. Not sure if everything is included for installation.
It should have everything.