Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing our in ground pool early

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing our in ground pool early

We have to leave early needing to close our i/g vinyl pool,and the water temperature is still between 23/4 C about 74 Fahrenheit. We Intend to shock the water and brush the pool before leaving. Can anyone advise me on what we should do to minimise the problem of algae and possible staining overwinter? We could possibly come back in a month's time when the water temperature should be quite a bit lower. We don't use a cover. A friend comes over to remove leaves etc every so often during the winter. We have never had a problem before but have only changed to the bbb system this season. Thanks in advance.

I/g 23k 12x5 m
    Vinyl
    5yrs
    FC 5.0
    CC 0.5
    PH 7.4
    TA 70
    C H 210
    CYA 80

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing our in ground pool early

Where are you located? I would explore a couple of other options before closing at these water temps (assuming you will come back within a month).

1. Is there someone who can add bleach to the pool while you are gone?[/*:m:3bsf4n13]
    2. Is there a reputable pool service that you could hire to maintain the pool until the water gets into the fifties (Fahrenheit) and then winterize it / close it up?[/*:m:3bsf4n13]

Until I saw the CYA reading of 80, I was going to suggest putting pucks in a feeder or floater while you are gone. However that will raise the CYA and you do not need it going any higher. If you are willing to do a partial drain & refill to lower the CYA a bit (say to about 40-50 ppm ), then the pucks become an option. Being gone for at least a month, you would still need someone to check the pucks once a week or so and add any as necessary.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

If you must close it, I'd strongly consider adding a good dose of polyquat algaecide to it when you close it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your advice. Will shock the pool before we leave thos time and get someone to add bleach and change/clean the filters until we next get here. Hopefully the water temp will be substantially lower then and we will re shock prior to closing. Re algaecide, we can only get the 'foaming one' locally. Would it be worth using that when we close in November?