Question about how far to drain pool for winter?

May 28, 2012
I decided to not take my 16x48 intex ultra frame pool down this year for winter. I have read that you are suppose to drain the water 6" below lowest return/skimmer opening, now does that mean below the inlet nozzle that returns the water to the pool from the filter, or do I need to drain the water 6" below the strainer grid nozzle that pulls the water out of the pool to the pump? Thanks!!

I have drained my down about 6 inches and that gives me a total of a 24 inch drop, so an 18' winter cover doesn't work because it is stretched and doesn't sit on the water. I am afraid if we get a lot of snow ice build up on the cover it will either come off or it will pull top of the pool in or start to bend the poles. I have seen this happen with a pool down the road. I think I am going to order a 24' cover to solve for this extra drop, any thoughts on this?

Thanks

I'm wondering the same thing. The problem with draining it below the inlet is that it's like a 1/3 of the way down the side of the pool so it would require draining almost half the water from the pool and I don't think my cover wouldn't fit right.

Last year I took it down completely. However I didn't have anywhere to store it so I just rolled the liner up in a tarp and put it on the side of my house. When I put it back up in the sprint the liner had a ton of little holes in it and I ended up having to buy a new liner at $350.

This year I was planning on just leaving it up so I bought a winter cover but if I have to drain half the water I don't think the cover is going to work because it's not big enough to actually reach down to that water level.

Also if you do drain it below the inlet I assume you remove the plastic fittings? If so what do you plug the holes with?

Dan,

I plugged my skimmer hole with a 3 inch plumbing plug. I left the fitting in the top hold and but a screw on pvc cap on it. I just bought a 27 foot winter cover that should easily account for the 2 ft of drop off on each side of the pool...it comes on Wednesday so Ill let you know how it goes.

I am doing the same. I took several of the bleach bottles and ties them together and then plan to put those under the cover. I also have one of those pillow things but the neighbor said the bleach bottles work so much better. It ends up moving so the water does not totally freeze I guess (he said) but with below 0 temps I thought for sure it would. (it did not) I also am ordering a larger winter cover as the oone that came with the pool really gives no room to tie down or wrap tight.

I drop my water 4 in below the lowest opening which in my case is the skimmer bottom. Husband says just empty and put away as we are going to redo the area under and around the pool next season. I have had some shifting but I am going to leave it up and drain in the spring just so I do not have any tiny holes or moldy stuff when I reopen next season. Besides less cleaning of the pool as it is crystal thanks to BBB.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.