Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New User

1. Back To Top    #1

New User

Hi everyone. I've been checking out this forum for about a week now as I'm in the process of getting a pool. Decided to register today and this is my very first post on this forum.
    I lived in Philadelphia, PA for thirty-two years and thankfully moved 45 miles southwest of the city to the suburbs for some country living just over two years ago. As a city employee, I was required to live in Philadelphia until my union was able to have the residency clause lifted in our last contract award. I'm still adjusting to the country life.
    My wife and I have been talking about getting a pool for several months now and recently had a couple contractors price the job for us. Surprisingly, the cost was actually LESS then I had anticipated, so after getting some funding together, we shelled out a down payment and we're currently waiting for our permits to be approved by our township. Hopefully we will have our project completed within the next two months or so.
    I've never had a pool before, nor have I ever had to take care of a pool so I've got a lot to learn. Hopefully it isn't as difficult as it seems to me right now or I'll be in trouble once I get it open next spring.
    I'm looking forward to gaining some knowledge from this board take a big leap into pool ownership.
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New User

Welcome to TFP!
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

We'll make it easy!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks wood. I certainly hope so. There is an overwhelming amount of information on this forum that I'm trying to take in. Thankfully ill have all winter to read up once the project is completed as I won't be able to open the pool until the spring time. Gives me lots of study time
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to tfp, Task
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome aboard the friendliest forum on the net!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Task
    Thanks wood. I certainly hope so. There is an overwhelming amount of information on this forum that I'm trying to take in. Thankfully ill have all winter to read up once the project is completed as I won't be able to open the pool until the spring time. Gives me lots of study time

Your study time will pay off in big dividends in the years to come. Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP!

Soak up as much info from pool school as you can. Read through it as many times as you can.

Some of it will seem confusing at first, but it will come together once you start playing around with your test kit Get one early, and test your tap water a few times, to get used to it. You won't need to test for CYA on your tap water, there won't be any in it, but all other tests will show results. I'd recommend the TF-100, with the XL option, along with the SpeedStir. This will help what you learn from pool school come together.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP !!
    I was a new pool owner not long ago and the info on this site has made pool water maintenance very very simple.

Spend time reading in pool school and after awhile it will all come together. Don't forget the test kit. It's a small investment for a trouble free pool.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

Definitely going to get a test kit soon. Everyone on this board seems to stress how important they are. Ill be ordering one as soon as this pool construction is complete.

11. Back To Top    #11

The reason we stress the importance of it, is because using one is the only way to be in control of your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Best to get the kit before the pool is complete, so you can familiarize yourself and family members with it.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.