Newbie in FL: Just signed for pool build. Questions.

Sep 18, 2013
Dunedin, FL
I'm delighted to discover you! Thanks for being here.

We're installing an outdoor, uncovered, in-ground pool (depth 4-to-5.5-to-4.5 for volleyball) but because we're building on a gentle slope, some of the pool is above ground (I'm sure there's a term for that but no idea).

At any rate, we've chosen our pool builder (PB). Well, maybe. On the day that we signed and felt comfortable with the numbers, the PB salesman said that because we plan on traveling during the year and leaving the pool alone that these would help with the chem regulation and should think about adding: 1) Ozone system (Paramount Clear 03 Ozone Water Purifying System) and 2) pH controller (Pentair IntelliChem Chemical Controller) to support our SWG system (IntelliChlor Chlorine Generator by Pentair).

I'm totally ignorant about this stuff and have no idea whether this makes sense.

So here are my questions. I look forward to your insights:

1) Your thoughts on adding the Ozone and the pH controller?

2) PB salesman pointed out that with pool maintenance service there are basically 2 choices: 1) Coming to test and maintain chems for about $40-$60/month or 2) the whole shebang - chems, brushing, flushing, checking and dumping skimmers, $150-$200/month).

He said that if we get the Ozone & pH controller systems, we'd only have to go with #1 and the systems would pay for themselves. Your thoughts please.

3) We're planning to splurge and get a travertine deck with travertine coping around the pool.
The pool interior would be a Marbletite finish.

I was reading on this forum that stone decking was not good with a SWG system. Is that true even when the water will not be touching the travertine?
Also, is Marbletite okay to use with SWG?

4) There are infinite discussions about chemicals and their levels. Once the pool is completed, should I be able to rely on the PB to expertly set the water balance?

Many thanks for your help!

P.S. I can't find the 'search' function on this site.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. Skip the ozone, waste of money for private outdoor pools. The pH control would likely be nice though.

2. Option 3 ... test it and maintain it yourself using the knowledge gained here.

3. I think travertine has less issue with the salt than other soft stones like flagstone (yes even up on the deck ... infact that is where the problem is worse as the salt water soaks in and the water evaporates leaving the salt behind). Someone else should confirm this though.

4. Absolutely NOT!!! pool builders and pool stores generally do not appear to have a very good grasp of how to maintain the chemistry ... they sure know how to sell stuff though. You have plenty of time to read and learn to do it yourself.

Google search is at the upper right above the bog Pool School button (which you should read a few times).
There is advanced search hidden way down in the lower left of the page.

Salty in FL said:
I'm delighted to discover you! Thanks for being here.

We're installing an outdoor, uncovered, in-ground pool (depth 4-to-5.5-to-4.5 for volleyball) but because we're building on a gentle slope, some of the pool is above ground (I'm sure there's a term for that but no idea).

At any rate, we've chosen our pool builder (PB). Well, maybe. On the day that we signed and felt comfortable with the numbers, the PB salesman said that because we plan on traveling during the year and leaving the pool alone that these would help with the chem regulation and should think about adding: 1) Ozone system (Paramount Clear 03 Ozone Water Purifying System) and 2) pH controller (Pentair IntelliChem Chemical Controller) to support our SWG system (IntelliChlor Chlorine Generator by Pentair).

I'm totally ignorant about this stuff and have no idea whether this makes sense.

So here are my questions. I look forward to your insights:

1) Your thoughts on adding the Ozone and the pH controller?

2) PB salesman pointed out that with pool maintenance service there are basically 2 choices: 1) Coming to test and maintain chems for about $40-$60/month or 2) the whole shebang - chems, brushing, flushing, checking and dumping skimmers, $150-$200/month).

He said that if we get the Ozone & pH controller systems, we'd only have to go with #1 and the systems would pay for themselves. Your thoughts please.

3) We're planning to splurge and get a travertine deck with travertine coping around the pool.
The pool interior would be a Marbletite finish.

I was reading on this forum that stone decking was not good with a SWG system. Is that true even when the water will not be touching the travertine?
Also, is Marbletite okay to use with SWG?

4) There are infinite discussions about chemicals and their levels. Once the pool is completed, should I be able to rely on the PB to expertly set the water balance?

Many thanks for your help!

P.S. I can't find the 'search' function on this site.

Hail fellow Pinellas friend! Once construction begins, pick up a TFT Test Kit from our resident chemist. I'd recommend picking up the magnetic speedstir as it can improve the accuracy and ease of testing, and it's fun to boot.

Between the test kit, some chlorine jugs at the Pinch a Penny off Tampa/US19 or Tampa Bay Pool off Alt 19 and Curlew, a bottle of acid here and there, and a supply of baking soda from Wally World, you're set. Pinch a Penny sells their 2.5 gal 10.5% chlorine containers for about $5 per after tax. Need to pay for a deposit on the containers though.

If I may ask, who's your pool builder? We recently had ours renovated by Freestyle Pools so I'm curious who you chose. Good luck and lots of photos!

http://tftestkits.net/cart.html?m=splash

For those folks in Florida.... If you are on Leslies E-Mail list, they sent out an online coupon that is good through this weekend. The 2.5 gallon chlorine is just $2.99 thru Sunday with the coupon. Of course, you have to have your own jugs and the limit is 2. I'm in Pinellas also.

Wow! That was fast ... thanks peeps for sharing your wisdom.

I'm still unsettled about a couple of happenings with the pool company we signed with - so I won't mention their name until it's a fait accompli ... As I mentioned, the salesman surprised us with "you should purchase this too" approach. Not sure if that's standard operating procedure but seems to me sorta odd in that he knew we needed to come in at a certain price range. He came in within that range and THEN brought up these items.

The other unsettling thing is that I hadn't heard from him since August 25th when he took the signed contract and said at that time they'd be jumping on getting the permitting. Thinking it was in process, I called the municipality YESTERDAY to see where we were and they hadn't even received the application for the permitting. When I asked our salesman about it he said it's a third party who does the permitting work and he'd look into it. Haven't heard yet.

Having said that, I got quotes only from pool companies that came recommended to us ... about 4 of them. This company was mid-range (not the cheapest) but the salesman showed a lot of pluck in coming up with innovative design and showing he had a lot of chops.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. Feels a little like buying a used car. But, then again, I have no other point of comparison as this is our first pool build.

So any thoughts around this would be helpful!

Also, if you have further thoughts whether it's a good idea to use travertine decking with SWG pool I'm all ears.

This is all such valuable information to know before we break ground! Thank you!

Welcome to tfp, Salty in FL :wave:

I am looking forward to your build!

I can understand your apprehension with so much at stake. One thing to keep in mind, the general experience on this board indicates that Pool Builders are generally horrible pool chemists, so I would not put much stock in any pool chemistry related type advice (like ozone, chem levels, etc.).

Hopefully someone with Travertine and a swg will comment on that soon :whip:

You may want to post up more details on the whole design, since there are many people who can help you avoid pitfalls on here. Also, post a list of the proposed equipment and we can help with that too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.