Transitioning from old copper to plastic sizing question

Sep 18, 2013
I've got an old Anthony swimming pool with 1 1/2" copper from the pool and 1 1/4" back to the pool. About 10 years ago I cut into the copper and transitioned to 1 1/2" PVC where I could when I installed a new WFE-3 pump and DE 48 sq. filter. I'm looking to go to the Intelliflo I1 to save energy and not stress the old copper pipes (I1 because of 14 gauge wire) and debating if I should remove all the 1 1/2" PVC piping and make the copper / PVC transition with 2" piping. Is that worth the hassle? I believe I will be running it at a low GPM and perhaps the added head pressure 1 1/2" has over 2" will be minimal to care about at the equipment pad especially with the existing copper I can't cut out (runs under decking). Current piping is approximately 4 feet of copper inlet pipe; 15 feet of copper return and 15 feet of PVC with 7 PVC elbows. Looking forward to hear thoughts on this.

Welcome to TFP.

I wouldn't worry about changing it unless you can change it all the way to the pool. The pump won't develop enough pressure to damage the piping unless it's already damaged and just changing a little PVC isn't going to help much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.