Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why/how is my FC level so high??

1. Back To Top    #1

Why/how is my FC level so high??

New swg pool installed...after week and a half got aquachek7 test strips out to do some testing. I know...I know...I need the better test kits. But right now, this is all I have to work with.

I was shocked when I say 0 FC and 0 TC. Asked PB if put stabilizer in. He said no. Calculated how much I needed on pool calculator. On Sat. I added 64oz (granules) (105oz was recommended) but I wanted to start out slow. Nothing else has been added to pool.

Also Sat.7am I pushed "boost" on swg which takes it to 100% purifying.

Did test strip test at 1pm:
    TH 250
    TC 3
    FC 3
    PH 7.8
    TA 80
    CYA 0

By 8pm TC was 10 and FC 5 (as accurate as strips can be I guess). I decided to turn off boost and leave swg at 70% overnight.

By 2pm Sun. TC and FC were both 10. I turned back swg at the default 50% setting.

Monday my TC and FC are at highest color on strip.
    TH 100
    TC 10 (highest on strip)
    FC 20 (highest on strip)
    PH 6.8
    TA 40
    CYA 30-50 range

Levels still the same today. No swimmers since a week ago. Solar cover on. Been upper 60 temps. Today sunny and 80 and 7am I turned swg down to 5% and no drop when tested at 5pm.

No algae noticed. Water clear.

I'm perplexed
    15'x25' 11K gallon fiberglass IG; 3HP variable speed pump, cartridge filter 150 flow rate; SWG (Autopilot Digital Nano); Mastertemp 200 heater; installed August 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why/how is my FC level so high??

We really can't say much about your test strips results since they are more often wrong then right. Do you by any chance have an OTO chlorine test...it is a drop based test that is usually on the same test block as a ph test?

For us to really help you, we need more reliable/accurate tests.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't . I will see if I can get PB out to test tomorrow.
    15'x25' 11K gallon fiberglass IG; 3HP variable speed pump, cartridge filter 150 flow rate; SWG (Autopilot Digital Nano); Mastertemp 200 heater; installed August 2013.

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you order a kit yet?

Don't let the pool get away from you already.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Lovrpool
    Did test strip test at 1pm:
    TH 250
    TC 3
    FC 3
    PH 7.8
    TA 80
    CYA 0

By 8pm TC was 10 and FC 5 (as accurate as strips can be I guess). I decided to turn off boost and leave swg at 70% overnight.

By 2pm Sun. TC and FC were both 10. I turned back swg at the default 50% setting.

Monday my TC and FC are at highest color on strip.
    TH 100
    TC 10 (highest on strip)
    FC 20 (highest on strip)
    PH 6.8
    TA 40
    CYA 30-50 range
    Your own results provide solid evidence for needing one of the Recommended Test Kits.
    1. TH drops from 250 to 100 in 2 days[/*:m:2aaa2oke]
    2. pH drops from 7.8 - 6.8 and TA drops from 80-40 in 2 days[/*:m:2aaa2oke]
    3. Monday's FC/TC results: FC is 20 whereas TC is 10. The proper equation is FC + CC = TC. If FC is 20 then TC must be at least 20.[/*:m:2aaa2oke]

The broad swings in TH, pH, and TA should not have occurred in two days if all that was added was granular CYA. Although adding CYA will lower the pH a bit, some of that will be counteracted by the fact that pH tends to creep up in SWG pools.

The fact that your water is clear with no visible signs of algae is a good thing. But if you want to keep it that way over the long haul, you will need the proper test kit.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.