Check my understanding?

Sep 14, 2013
Rough sketch attached....

In the planning phase(nothing purchased) and based on what I've been reading around here, I'm thinking maybe I should switch the Return and Suction? Put the skimmers on the side I have the pump now and the returns on the opposite side? This would give the returns equal length piping. Or I could move the pump/filter so that the returns are equal. Also, I'm calculating around 60' of 2" pipe, with the pump being at the same height as the main drain. If there is anything else I should change please let me know.

Thanks...

I couldn't get the correct rotation to stick on the image, sorry!

16x32x52 ABG

3/4 HP 2 speed pump???

Pentair SD80

Pentair IC40 Chlorinator

Attachments

• Scan_Doc0332.pdf
    331.4 KB · Views: 24
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Is this going to be an above-ground or in-ground pool?

You want at least one of the skimmers to be on the prevailing downwind side of the pool ... and the other on the opposite side.

It appears you are not feeding the returns with a loop, but if you have valves to adjust the relative flow, the length of the pipes do not really matter.

I would suggest you have each suction line (skimmers and floor) and return plumbed separately to the equipment pad and then use valves there to be able to adjust the relative flow. You could either have a 2-way valve on each line or use 3-way valves to select between the options. You may not need the shut-off valves near the pool as you have drawn.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Sorry, it is above ground.

When you mention valves to adjust the flow, are you refering to partially closing one of the valves to reduce flow?

The 3 way valve I would use to reduce the suction line by one if needed, correct?

Making the changes to suggest, and based on a 8 hour turnover, I have the Hayward SP2307X102 in mind for the pump, as there don't appear to be any dual speed 3/4 HP. With .13kwh energy costs I don't think I can justify a VF/VS pump.

Yes, I was talking about using valves to balance the return flow by restricting one of the returns.

You can either use 2-way valves to restrict the flow (suction or return) so that more if available to other paths ... or use a 3-way valve to accomplish the same thing. They allow both to be open, or one flow path to be partially or completely closed.

I prefer the true pool valves like the Neverlube over the PVC ball valves that have a tendency to fail.

2-speed 3/4HP pumps are difficult to find, so go with a smaller 1HP 2-speed. You may want to consider sticking with Pentair, as they usually will increase the warranty from 1 to 3 years if you buy 3 pieces of equipment at the same time (I think from the same vendor).

I found the warranty information on Pentair's site and you are correct.

Since I spent all my research time looking at the Hayward pumps, and the prospect of doing it again on the Pentair side is not exciting, is there a Pentair model pump you would reccomend for my setup?

Thanks again.

My bad...yes an agp pump would be cheaper, that is the way I would go. The hayward matrix SP15922S (2-speed 1 hp), the pentair dynamo 340203 or 340204 (3/4 and 1 hp, both 2-speeds), or the pentair optiflo 1hp 2-speed would all be good choices.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From my reading the difference between AG and IG pumps is flow/pressure, aside from cost and priming ability. Is this correct? Since the pump will be well below the water line in my setup, is there a significant advantage to an IG pump such as longevity and future upgrades? I may end up with another return bringing the total to three.

The main difference is whether they are self-priming or not. Some AG pumps are not ... and some are. IG pumps will also work for your application, but there is no advantage to using a IG pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.