To close to not to close-weekend home in southeast Texas

Jan 31, 2013
I have a 30 x 15 AGP in Matagorda County, Texas (in case you want to see where it is geographically) and keep going back and forth as to whether I should do a full "close" or not.

Its a weekend home that we will use sporadically from now until the week before Thanksgiving and then we usually don't go back until the middle of January. We don't often get freezing weather, but when we do, it can be enough to freeze the pipes under the house (house is right on the water so its elevated 5' off the ground with plumbing exposed underneath) but never for more than a day or two.

I have both a leaf cover as well as a winter cover but just not sure what to do. I don't want to be in a situation where I have to run down at a moments notice between Thanksgiving and New Years because its my REALLY busy season but I also don't want to "close" the pool if I really don't have to.

I have though about putting the winter cover on and drastically reducing the number of hours the pumps runs but change the hours to when its most likely to have frozen (maybe 3:00am to 8:00am or something like that)

Anyhow, just looking for suggestions from y'all....Please and Thank You!

Freed :goodjob:

Its basically a thermostat which turns your pump on when the temperature get down near freezing. In South TX it may not be as common, but a pool technician could install one for you. Sorry, I didn't get the Kolache reference/joke. Please elaborate... :mrgreen:

Brushpup said:
Its basically a thermostat which turns your pump on when the temperature get down near freezing. In South TX it may not be as common, but a pool technician could install one for you. Sorry, I didn't get the Kolache reference/joke. Please elaborate... :mrgreen:

Do you have a link to such a switch? does it have a timer on it as well as a thermostat switch? I guess what i'm asking is would it take the place of my current timer? I can install myself...I did the rest of it so this shouldnt be that difficult.

And during this time period, would I turn my timer off and not run my pool except when the temps drop?

In the city of West, TX, there is a Kolache shop that I used to stop at on the way to the Metroplex when I was dating my wife long distance. Man I live for those Kolaches....they are truly the best there is.

Makes sense, now I know why you were confused!!! The city of West, TX has a FAMOUS Kolache place just off the highway. If you make it that way you should stop by....I promise you will not be disappointed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.