Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3 inch tabs

1. Back To Top    #1

3 inch tabs

I am beginning to lose my CYA level in my pool as a result of some loss of water thru a possible tiny leak I need to get resolved. In addition we have had a lot of rain.....Before I discovered this pool site I had purchased from Leslies a big bucket of 3 inch tabs which I discontinued using when I began the BBB method you have led me to use. I have a 16000 gallon plaster pool and what I'm trying to figure out is how much CYA a tab would add to my water as a way to bring my CYA back up to my desired level, then discontinue using the Tabs again....I have the necessary chemical on hand to test the CYA frequently to monitor the CYA level while this is raising is taking place with the Tabs.Any guidance is greatly appreciated as I can't find any information on this site that can help me. Many thanks, John
    16100 gallon rectangle pool built in 1984 including a 5' X 5'x 3' Spa, Diamond Brite in year 2000, Non-SWG Pool

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: 3 inch tabs

The Pool Calculator will tell you. Scroll towards the bottom of the calculator to the Effects of adding chemicals section. Most trichlor tabs are 8 oz.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

The Pool Calculator is the easiest way to figure this out, but if you know your daily chlorine demand, you can use the fact that for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm. So if you have 2 ppm FC per day chlorine demand, then if you meet that using only Trichlor, your CYA will rise by 2*7*0.6 = 8.5 ppm per week,
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you. Both replies are very helpful as I move forward to temporarily use those Tabs to raise the CYA.....Maybe someday I'll use them all up for CYA additions over the future years.......Thanks again.....John
    16100 gallon rectangle pool built in 1984 including a 5' X 5'x 3' Spa, Diamond Brite in year 2000, Non-SWG Pool