Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer plug

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer plug

I just purchased one for my pool closing this yr. I was thinking of plugging the skimmer (the opening inside wall of pool) and raising the water level. I have a solid cover and the water accumulates on top and puts a lot of stress on the cover. I know most people use pumps but I thought by rising the water level less can accumulate on top.

I have one way valves to plug the returns so I don't have to drain below returns.

Has anyone done this? Any experience with this type of plug?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer plug

It'd be nice to know where you're located?
    If it's just a plug and you live where it freezes, then you're aasking for the skimmer to freeze and burst something. Also, how do the check valves keep water from getting into the return fittings?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-682-gi ... l-spa.aspx

Make sure the plug allows for expansion if it freezes.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    It'd be nice to know where you're located?
    If it's just a plug and you live where it freezes, then you're aasking for the skimmer to freeze and burst something. Also, how do the check valves keep water from getting into the return fittings?
    I said valve....its really a plug. It screws into the return,lets u blow water out but doesnt let pool water go back in the return line.

I blew the skimmer line out n used a gizmo but I also have a rectangular plug that fits into the skimmer opening. I put that in because I want to raise the water level higher. I have a solid cover, I figure if water level in pool is higher than less water on top of cover over the winter.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner