Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool CYA at 90... Do I drain or wait?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool CYA at 90... Do I drain or wait?

Pool is over a month old and I have adopted the BBB method and turned off the chlorinator.

Test results from today with Taylor k-2006 kit

FC 3.2
    CC .2
    TA 90
    ph 7.6
    Hardness 280
    CA- 90
    Borates 34

I added bleach to raise the FC to 7 this evening. With this late in the season should I drain to get CYA down or just keep the FC at proper levels and see if CYA comes down with use and rain?
    18,500 gunite/pebble plaster, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Jandy 2hp variable pump, cart. filter, ozone system, in-line-chlorinator(not in use), borates, Polaris 9400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool CYA at 90... Do I drain or wait?

I would say if you water is clear, wait to drain and just make sure you FC never ever drops below 7 ppm and you should be fine. That will require you to shoot for a higher FC when you dose. I would try shooting for 9-10 ppm FC.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

How long till you close or if at all ? You could drain some to get it down if your going to be using it alot. It's your call.

Your FC level at 7 ppm is at the min for a CYA of 90. Your FC should be at least 10 ppm so you don't fall below your min of 7 ppm.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, water is clear. Since I live in Texas, we will use it thru Oct. I planned on keeping it up all year unless there is a better way. I will keep FC between 9-10. Should I increase Borates to 50?
    18,500 gunite/pebble plaster, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Jandy 2hp variable pump, cart. filter, ozone system, in-line-chlorinator(not in use), borates, Polaris 9400

5. Back To Top    #5

What is your current borate level?

I probably would wait until after you do a drain/refill to reduce cya.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

New Pool CYA at 90... Do I drain or wait?

Just one more thing.... Stay on top of your FC levels cause if you get an algae bloom its gonna take a boatload of bleach to clear at a CYA of 90.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

linen.. borate is at 34

8. Back To Top    #8

I would leave it until you drain so you don't waste your chems.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, I plan to leave it and drain later.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kdiamond
    turned off the chlorinator.
    If there are tabs in the chlorinator, I would recommend allowing them to be used up or remove them. Turning off the chlorinator only isolates the tabs in the feeder with water. They continue to dissolve, creating a very concentrated chlorine solution that can damage the chlorinator and can be dangerous when the chlorinator is opened.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks James. I did not think about that.

12. Back To Top    #12

Wait to drain, keep up your chlorine level above 7ppm. Pucks will do that. LOL
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida