Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48" Winter Thoughts ***in IOWA**

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48" Winter Thoughts ***in IOWA**

What to do...
    I have an 18' Intex Ultra Frame that I would like to leave up all winter long. I wouldn't mind taking it down, but I have built a pool deck relative to the pool. Trying to line the pool back up next year would be near impossible. My question is, how the heck can I leave this thing up? Cover or no cover? Remove the plumbing lines to the Hayward sand filter? Iowa has VERY harsh winters, below freezing from mid December to late February, early March. The pool is also near a small bluff over my neighbors yard... he would now appreciate my pool water falling into his massive in ground pool although he is a very nice guy who is rarely home and probably wouldn't know either way.

Joking. That can't happen.

What should I do?

Marcus Kizer
    - 18' x 48" Ultra Frame Intex AGP 7000 gallons(?),
    Hayward Pro Series 21" Sand Filter and 1 1/2 HP Power Flo Matrix

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48" Winter Thoughts ***in IOWA**

I would follow this pool school article:

I have been observing 2 (neighborhood) intex frame pools left up for 3 winters now in MN and have yet to see problems.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW PA

Re: Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48" Winter Thoughts ***in IOWA**

I've seen the Intex pools left up in PA over the winters with no problems. I pass one every day on my way to work. That pool has been standing for 4 years with no issues. It's still level too!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter