Jul 31, 2013
NW Louisiana
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a ladder that is rusting and I have read how to clean it when it is removed. However, I do not see any anchors or bolts holding the ladder in. I lift up the plastic caps and see only concrete. Is it possible that the builder neglected to use any type of anchors? Is so, is there no possibility of ever removing it?

Often the concrete gets worked over the anchors. You should have bolt heads very close to that side of the rails. Maybe tap at the concrete lighly to see if the are under the surface.

This is the most common type used around here

PB8208B.JPG

You back the bolt out and a wedge drops which releases the ladder.

So the idea of the builder not using anchors is very unlikely? I also have a diving board that utilizes 2 U shaped rails (no plastic caps); are they typically anchored as well?

Thanks for the quick reply (I would not have thought they would work the concrete over the anchors).

SilverJK said:
cautiously, I did tap around the ladder and found a bolt head. I feel much relieved now that I know it's there.

Thanks

Good deal.

They pull a wedge up to secure the rail, so you want to loosen the bolt a little (1/4 inch), then tap on it to push the wedge down. Repeat until you can feel the rail loosening. If you take the bolt out, the wedge usually stays in position and the rail won't move.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.