Ground prep questions

lisaj

Sep 17, 2013
Got a deal on a used AGP. Planning on installing next Spring. We live on the side of a hill and have a friend with a dozer who is going to level down to the area we will be installing. The ground is sloped on two sides toward the pool. We set up a laser level and one side of the area will need to be taken down about 3 ft or so. We are planning to build an angeled/stepped retaining wall with block/rock/railroad ties (undecided). I have a couple of questions.

1. Since the rainfall will be funneled toward the pool, I'm thinking we need to build a lip on the retaining wall to help divert the water and also add a French drain. Would that be the way to do it?

2. should we do the dirt work and retaining walls now or wait until Spring? I thought if we got it done now it would have time to settle but then there's the issue of bare dirt and washing away.

Love lurking & learning here! Thanks in advance....

1. I think that is a good plan.
2. If you can do it this year and then place a tarp over the area to prevent the erosion (if this will prevent erosion), I would. However, as long as you are digging down, you can do at either point.

I would say if you did your ground work this season and let it settle over the winter, you could learn about any ground issues before you add the pool "issues". Not that the pool will be an issue it's just if you build the retaining wall and over the winter you find one section doesn't flow the way you want, you can address it without a pool in the way, physically.

Wow! You guys are quick! Thanks for the info. Now if I can just convince the hubby. My ulterior motive for doing the dirt work now is so that it will lesson the time to get in the pool next year...hehe

I actually did the whole process in September and October when I did it. Much cooler for working (mn) and that way the pool was ready to go in the spring. There was even a little swimming that was done when it was completed, since it happened to be a warm fall...but it was cold!

You could also "maybe" get some of the grass to grow on the hill before spring to limit the amount of mud you get into the pool. My first years I had mud in the pool every time we got into the pool. When I installed the pool it was just a pool and a ladder (and mud), now I have a split-level deck around 3/4 the pool with landscaping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.