Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this right?

1. Back To Top    #1

League City, TX

Is this right?

My pool is exposed to the sun from around noon til sundown. I am trying to keep my FC at 8. My CYA is 70. I am having to add @ 40 oz of 8.5% bleach. Is this right?

My last readings were:

FC 4.5
    CC 0
    CYA 70
    TA 100
    pH 7.8
    CH 300

Per the pool calculator, I need to add 87 oz of bleach. I can and will do that but seems excessive. That being said, my pool looks AMAZING after switching to the BBB method.
    18K / in ground / PebbleSheen /Hayward pump / DE filter /spa / Polaris cleaner
    Built July 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Is this right?

If you are wanting to get your FC up to 8 ppm, that seems about right.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Is this right?

A typical pool at 70 ppm will lose about ~25% FC due to the sun. 5 ppm is the lowest you want to allow your FC to go to, so if you target 6 ppm as a minimum, that would mean your pool should use about 2 ppm/day with a target level to dose to of 8 ppm. If you are dropping from 8 ppm to 4.5 ppm daily without a lot of swimmers, then I would guess you have something in the water using up your chlorine. When in doubt, do a OCLT: I would bring your FC level up to at least 8 ppm before taking your evening reading.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.