Mystery Pool

Upon doing my research on the Suntouch, it seems like there are mixed reviews on the device, as it is extremely difficult to use.

I wonder about which parts I would need as well, I.E. do I need actuators, temp sensors, valves?

Might it be better to get one of the models where I can use an IPad or other device to manage?

It depends on what you want to do. Personally I saw no need for wireless control and I only wanted an actuator on my solar valve.

With just a pool and no solar, you currently have no need for moving any valves. And you only need temp sensors if you are going to use freeze protection or some kind of heater.

Well, no heater, and no issues of freezing where we live, so seems like the base model would be appropriate.

I'm just concerned with all of the negative reviews I have seen on the device...

What's the next step up from Suntouch? Easytouch? Intellitouch? Any preferences on those?

Regarding the Pebble finish. There are different types and grades of pebble. Some people find some types of pebble to be a bit too rough. Make sure you see and feel samples, and perhaps even an installed pool with the prospective pebble finish to feel the texture.

Good news. Kind of. Demo should finish tomorrow, and I should have tons of pictures to post for everyone.

Downside: Due to all of the research I have been doing, I've noticed that pools should be bonded?

My pool was originally built in 1959, before the code called for bonding. I don't see any 8g wire (or otherwise) anywhere near equipment or around the pool.

From what I understand, I could connect to 4 parts of the steel around the pool, then to the light, then to the equipment and any other metal within 5 feet of the pool?

This is code everywhere?

Should I be bonding my pool now?

Should I leave it as/is and just bond the equipment?

Bonding is as you described, connect everything that conducts electricity around the pool. This includes the deck, like the rebar.

It would certainly be a good idea to bond everything you possibly can. While it may not be code, it certainly makes the pool safer if there is an electrical issue.

So, from my research, I'll be connecting following the plan indicated below, in beautiful MS paint graphics.

[attachment=0:3ec7u4y0]Bonding Plan.JPG[/attachment:3ec7u4y0]

My only concern is how I will connect to the Rebar in the pool. Not really sure if I'll have any visible when I dig around the pool.

Any ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Enmity said:
Also connections to the steel for the decking at 4 points.
The 4 point perimeter bond is mostly for the structure of above ground pools. In ground pools only need the steel grid of the pool rebar to be bonded to the rest of the items. It is not always necessary to bond to 4 points. The deck is supposed to have a continuous loop around the pool. All equipment such as pumps and heaters need to be tied to this grid as well as a water bond. In some cases a heater can be used as a water bond.

You need to read Mike Holt on Pool Bonding. Just do a google search on Mike Holt and swimming Pools. Everyone doing electrical work around a pool should read Mike Holt.

You should try and bond as much as possible. You may want to talk to someone at LA County's Building inspection division. They will say you need a permit -- they always say you need a permit.

Most California building inspectors will want the pool structure (rebar) connected at 4 points and some bonding method for the deck. On a new pool they count the points of connection. Bonding is one of the main things California inspectors look at.

Doubtful a California inspector will allow a heater as a water bond. They will be looking for the 10 sq inch plate in the light niche. They will want listed connecters.

I would try and bond as much as you can, not because its required but because it serves a very useful purpose in keeping bathers safe.

Another +1 on your writing style.......and an interesting pool recovery. I'm dying to know what sort of trinkets you've found too. Super bonus there, wow. I'll be checking back on this one for sure.

gwegan said:
You need to read Mike Holt on Pool Bonding. Just do a google search on Mike Holt and swimming Pools. Everyone doing electrical work around a pool should read Mike Holt.

You should try and bond as much as possible. You may want to talk to someone at LA County's Building inspection division. They will say you need a permit -- they always say you need a permit.

Most California building inspectors will want the pool structure (rebar) connected at 4 points and some bonding method for the deck. On a new pool they count the points of connection. Bonding is one of the main things California inspectors look at.

Doubtful a California inspector will allow a heater as a water bond. They will be looking for the 10 sq inch plate in the light niche. They will want listed connecters.

I would try and bond as much as you can, not because its required but because it serves a very useful purpose in keeping bathers safe.

Some good points made here. Different areas interpret the NEC differently than others. Here we have to provide a perimiter loop with 4 points on above ground pools. In Ground pools only need 1 point of attachment to the rebar. If it is a steel structure inground pool then 4 points are needed. This can be tied to the perimiter bond for the deck. As for the heater, Again, different interpretations. Here, if the bond lug is on the heater it can be used as a water bond. With no heater they ask for the code minimum of 9 sq in plate in the skimmer or a 1.5" x 3" long copper or brass pipe with a clamp on it

Part of why they look at things differently is differing practices. The majority of new California pools don't have gas heaters and if they do they may be isolated from the pool much of the year. So inspectors won't pass a water bond utilizing the heater. California building inspectors are trained to look at bonding during all four required inspections and take a fairly strict view. California has strict fencing and alarm requirements as well as additional requirements for gas heating that are in addition to normal building code requirements so inspectors have more to look at and consider.

If he gets a building permit for this resurrection then he will have to have several long conversations with the building inspector about how they want things done. I would actually have a long talk with the supervisor so you don't have the situation where one inspector signs you off then two weeks later another calls the same thing as non compliant. That would be about normal on bonding issues with this age of remodel.

gwegan said:
Part of why they look at things differently is differing practices. The majority of new California pools don't have gas heaters and if they do they may be isolated from the pool much of the year. So inspectors won't pass a water bond utilizing the heater. California building inspectors are trained to look at bonding during all four required inspections and take a fairly strict view. California has strict fencing and alarm requirements as well as additional requirements for gas heating that are in addition to normal building code requirements so inspectors have more to look at and consider.

If he gets a building permit for this resurrection then he will have to have several long conversations with the building inspector about how they want things done. I would actually have a long talk with the supervisor so you don't have the situation where one inspector signs you off then two weeks later another calls the same thing as non compliant. That would be about normal on bonding issues with this age of remodel.
Agree. I would get in writing, from the AHJ, what is expected to be done to pass inspection

And the Mystery is solved.

Pics from Before:

[attachment=2:s1f7qthv]Scary Pool.jpg[/attachment:s1f7qthv]
[attachment=1:s1f7qthv]Hole.jpg[/attachment:s1f7qthv]
[attachment=0:s1f7qthv]Lots of Work.jpg[/attachment:s1f7qthv]

And Current Progress:

[attachment=2:296gxrmp]Light Night.jpg[/attachment:296gxrmp]
[attachment=1:296gxrmp]Progress.jpg[/attachment:296gxrmp]
[attachment=0:296gxrmp]Tech.jpg[/attachment:296gxrmp]

Lots of crazy issues needed solving, too many to list here.

Had a leak (2" per day) when first filled, turned out to be a lack of seal on one of the new drains PB installed.

Now fixed, thankfully.

Currently working on the property walls, landscaping, sealing the concrete, and generally making everything match the new pool!

Well, that and keeping up with what this pool needs!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.