Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stupid question....

1. Back To Top    #1

Stupid question....

Well I had a horrible day at work only to come home to a non functioning main pump. While taking off the cover to check the power to the pump the bold sheared off. While turning the power back on to check with my meter the pump started working again. I then found out that the power had flickered during the day which probably caused the automation to get confused. Anyways how can I get the cover on the pump tight again?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stupid question....

With a bolt that small, I would guess drill and re-tap would be about your best option. Of course you could try a quick and dirty fix that might work with some silicone and a brick or something leaning against the cover plate to hold it until the silicone sets up.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

3. Back To Top    #3

The same thing happened to me last week when I replaced the bearings on my pump motor. I used two large washers under the two nearby motor bolts, with both washers overlapping the electrical cover.
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by laprjns
    The same thing happened to me last week when I replaced the bearings on my pump motor. I used two large washers under the two nearby motor bolts, with both washers overlapping the electrical cover.
    That was my first thought but I was worried about another bold shearing off. I have it closed with a brick for now and will have to look at it this weekend.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy
    That was my first thought but I was worried about another bold shearing off.
    Squirt some WD-40 on them and let the soak for a day or so.
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by laprjns
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippy
    That was my first thought but I was worried about another bold shearing off.
    Squirt some WD-40 on them and let the soak for a day or so.
    If you have PB Blaster, even better.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

I believe the large hex head bolts adjacent to the cover are the long thru-bolts that hold the entire motor together. They're about 8 inches long and they thread onto the opposite motor end cover. If you squirt some WD-40 or PB Blaster, it won't do much good spraying it on the hex head. You'll have to spray it on the other end and I can't see from your photo's if you have any access to that end. You may have to remove the motor from the pump and at that point I'd just drill out the old broken off screw and re-tap it or use a TEKS screw or other thread cutting/forming or sheet metal screw. Since this isn't a structural fastener, it's just holding down a little cover, you just need a short screw that grabs just a little.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

8. Back To Top    #8

I am not even sure I would tap it, I would simply use a short, self-tapping screw. The panels on air conditioners are installed with the all the time. An electricians grounding screw may be the right size.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Can you post a picture? The correct answer is going to differ if you're talking about a simple cover bolt vs a through bolt.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

I wouldn't touch those 4 through bolts. They tend to shear off rather than unscrew.

Drilling a small hole and using a self-tapping screw would probably work OK. Make sure not to go too deep, as you could potentially hit something inside the motor.

It might not look pretty, but you might even be able to use tape. Perhaps like this.

http://www.findtape.com/product687/ISC- ... -Tape.aspx