Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which one is right???

1. Back To Top    #1

Which one is right???

Ok, I am new to this site and trying to learn some things, I greatly appreciate all input from you professionals.
    I have a 15000 gal cement/ Marcite Inground pool with beach area and spa in beach area with a spill over of half inch. Four foot drop waterfall, hayward automation swg.cartridge filter.

Pinch a penny suggests...tc 2-4. TFP says. Tf100 says.. Tfp swg says.....
    Ph. 7.4-7.6
    Ta. 80-120
    Cal h 250-400
    Cya 60-80
    Tsd. 300-3000
    Salt 270o-3400

I won't list all the levels for the rest but that's 4 suggestions with 4 different level amounts. Some are small differences some are larger differences. I never have used borates and have read that section also and it sounds good and if you all suggest it I will do it.

So I guess my question is what levels should I use for swg? And if you suggest borates which levels should I use for that?

Got my tf kit today that tfp recommended. And played with it a little bit. I think I'll get used to it after a couple runs at it.
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which one is right???

Since you have a swg, follow those tfp guidelines. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_generator

Hold off on borates for now until you get up and running with the suggested levels above.

Post a full set of tests (FC,CC, ph,TA,CH,cya) with your tf-100 and we can help steer you right.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

. I already added some acid and calcium tonite so ill check tomorrow nite and post. Thanks!!!!
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok just tested remember this is my second time using the t100 or any for that matter, but I am fairly enclined and followed the directions.

FC 3.5
    Cc 1.5
    Tc 5.0

Ta 100
    Ch 370
    Cya 60
    Salt 3200

Swg has been set to 10 percent for two weeks. This thing is really producing chlorine huh?
    It's a t15 rated for a 40,ooo gal and my pool is around 15 ,ooo

So what now do you suggest? Thanks
    Thanks Todd.

5. Back To Top    #5

With a CC >0.5 ppm, you need to do the SLAM process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool

You didn't list a ph. If it is not down there, I would lower it to 7.2-7.4 before starting.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Cc was 1.5
    Thanks Todd.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, do the SLAM process.

What was ph?

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, pool looks great and clear right now but I will do the slam if you suggest.
    Thanks Todd.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, your cc is greater than 0.5 ppm meaning you are fighting organics. Do the SLAM process.

ph is what?

10. Back To Top    #10

Ph is 7.5. My shock level is 24 but a little confused on how to add my liquid chlorine,and how long to wait till I can check it.

From what I am gathering you want me to raise the level to 24 correct?
    Thanks Todd.

11. Back To Top    #11

Your ph is fine where it is.

Yes, 24 ppm FC is your SLAM level. Add enough LC to get it to that point using poolcalculator.com to calculate the amount. Add it to your pool in front to the return (water returning to the pool). Then check in a hour and add enough to bring it back up to 24 ppm. Do this as often as possible.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok the pool calc. Does not list my hypochlorite 10.5 percent in the drop down.
    Thanks Todd.

13. Back To Top    #13

What drop down are you trying to use? Just type the 10.5 in the box at the top and it will tell you the number of oz required for that ppm change in FC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok it says bleach which threw me off. Got the calculations, added the chlorine and waiting a hour to check.
    I will post updates. Thank you so much
    Thanks Todd.

15. Back To Top    #15

Just to reassure myself, I am now in the process of slamming and I should check level every hour till my level is .5 or lower. ( and that I reached my shock level) . If I reached my shock level and only when I reach the .5 or less then I do the over night loss test. When those two are complete I am fine right?

Then how long does it take to get shock level back down to range? And is that done by just time? And I take there should be no swimming till then?

Thanks so much for your time and teaching a newbi.
    Thanks Todd.

16. Back To Top    #16

You need to just be testing FC and CC every time and maintaining the SLAM level FC level. When CC is consistently < 0.5 and the water is clear with no sign of algae, then you can do the OCLT.

Once you have passed the 3 criteria, then just let the FC slowly drop. It is safe to swim as soon as it is below SLAM level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok,,,, 1 hour mark = fc 26.5
    Cc 1.0 Will repost two hour mark
    Thanks Todd.

18. Back To Top    #18

2hour mark. Fc 29.5 , cc .5
    I am assuming that next check cc will be zero being I was generous giving it 1 drop to turn back clear.

So.....if it is zero then is it safe to say that the pool was fairly clean? And it would be ok to do the overnight test?

Thanks again
    Thanks Todd.

19. Back To Top    #19

Did you add chlorine at the 1 hour mark to result in a high FC after 2 hours?
    CC is only one sign of a problem and often people do not have any CC even with algae in the water.

How does the water currently look? Any algae or cloudiness?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Well the shock level increased from the one hour to two hour. So no I did not add more being i was still above the original shock level.
    Thanks Todd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast