Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover Management Options

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover Management Options

I bought a solar cover this week for the first time in several years. My wife has been avoiding the pool as it's too cool for her. It's been in the 80-82F range most of the summer. It was 78F this past weekend (pre-cover).

I have a 21 round pool and my deck now surrounds nearly 75% of the pool's perimeter. It has grown over the years. My deck is about 3 feet below the top of the rails so the pool is mid belly when you stand next to the wall.

So, my issue is how to manage to cover. In the past, I had one 21 foot circle of buble cover. When it was out of the pool, it was in a pile next to the pool. You really cannot easily "roll up" a 21 foot circle of bubble wrap. I considered a reel but with an AG, they need to sit on the top rail and divide the pool, sit mid pool and then be moved or be mounted outside the pool and have a reel stand. A reel is not practical on my yard.

I see the Solar Roller seems to work well for those here who have them. I also see a couple have made their own.

I think I want to try a homemade solar roller made from foamcore ABS. I know I do not want a 21 foot long roll so cutting it seems logical.

I could cut it in half and add the pipe in the middle. My other idea is to cut it into three pieces.In my images, the orange line would be the pipe. I am concerned the "halves" would end up with really long flags to roll around the pipe and all the material ends up on one end of the pipe. The thirds seems like it will shorten each rolled piece and it centers the material on each section. I understand they are about 10 feet long pipes for either option, but are the more manageable? Do I need the "cranks" the manufactured version provides or will they be easy enough to just roll-up on the surface of the water?

Has anyone tied anything like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Solar Cover Management Options

I remember seeing a solar reel that was flexible that way when you rolled it up it would conform the the edge of the pool. Anyways if you are considering slicing up your cover wouldn't you be better off with those solar rings?
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Techguy have you seen this DIY Solar Cover Roller
    viewtopic.php?t=59799#p490581
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    Techguy have you seen this DIY Solar Cover Roller
    viewtopic.php?t=59799#p490581

This was the plan I was thinking worked best.

Has anyone cut a round cover into three, like my drawing, in order to make the pieces more manageable? Seems like even without the rollers, this could make the cover easier to manage.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I would think that having the cover in 3 pieces as you show would be a big mistake as the center sections of the cover will not unfold and sit right. You would probably need to use a brush every time to fix the center of the cover. It helps to be able to pull the cover straight as in the 2 section cover.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool cover uses PVC pipe to roll up the cover. Each section is about 10' x 15'. I use a short section of that same pipe that fits inside a coupler as a handle. No crank is necessary.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

7. Back To Top    #7

As for the issue in the center of the pool, since the center of each pie section of the cover will be attached to the pipe, I will have a "handle" to be able to adjust it so no brush should be needed. Also, this cover (new this week) is slightly big for the pool, I think I will have a little extra blanket to overlap the sections.

I am not looking for perfection, I am looking to make it easier for my daughter to be able to manage it and make it so it's not a heap of plastic on the deck (as it has been in the past).

I had not thought about adding a coupling to the end, I guess then I can simply slip in a small section of the same pipe into the coupling to make a handle not covered in blanket. I assume it makes it easier if the coupling is on the end of the long pipe so the "handle" slips into it?
    -- Guy --